Colour of tied notes

I just noticed that in tied notes, only the first note honours the “Colour” setting, the tied ones remain black. Accidentals aren’t coloured either. I suppose that’s not what is intended?

By the way: Is it possible (or legal) to have a slur stop at the first note in a sequence of tied notes (instead of the last one)? Or is there another way to make the slurs look nicer than in the example above?

Thanks,
Tim

I think your example slurs look about as good as they get for these figures. The modern rule is that a slur should always include any tied values. Classical composers such as Mozart and Beethoven often broke this rule (presumably because it wasn’t a rule yet). So as an editor I sometimes carefully break the rule if it can reduce clutter significantly. Unfortunately, in this example, slurring only to the accented note won’t help with clarity because of the triplet and the second voice.

If you try to change the color of the slur, does that change the next note?

Robby

Good idea, I checked: No, the color attribute is already set to the changed color when I select the tie, and even setting it again doesn’t change anything.

For the time being, you’ll need to switch to Engrave mode and select each notehead in the tie chain individually to change all of their colours.

Shouldn’t the dots on dotted notes and rests be colored also?

Jesper

Hi Daniel,

Good that this is possible but it would be really useful if it were possible to do this in Write mode in a future update.

James

Has this been fixed in dorico 4?

There’s no change in this behaviour in Dorico 4. To colour all of the ties in a tie chain, you need to switch to Engrave mode and select them there.