Combined dynamic sfmf?

I was trying to input a combined dynamic “sf-mf” via the dynamics panel but I can’t seem to work it out. Likewise, using the key combination shift+d and inputting sfmf there doesn’t do anything.

It’s not a standard dynamic most people would use but the score I’m working on calls for it. I guess I need to create a custom playing technique glyph for it, but nevertheless I was surprised to encounter this apparent limitation in the combined dynamics input.

Combined dynamics need to have a different “base” dynamic on either side: so a flavour of f on one side, and a flavour of p on the other.

TBH, I find this requirement rather arbitrary and unnecessary. Is this an actual rule in music theory?

3 Likes

No, I don’t think so. It was how we chose to implement it when we started based on a non-exhaustive search of examples in existing repertoire. We have no problem with extending this in future, it’s simply a matter of time and priority. There is only so much we can do at any given moment.

1 Like

Ah, I understand. Thank you for the explanation Lillie and Daniel :slight_smile: