Coming from ProTools

Hello all! I’m going to be getting back into composing after a 4 year leave. I have previously composed on ProTools, however I am reading and getting information that Cubase is the better option for my line of work.
I have a few questions, so if anyone can fill me in, point me in the right direction to find the answers or post a link to articles or other posts…I would greatly appreciate it!
1)I need to get a new Computer/Mac…I want to run the latest CuBase with lots of room for storage. With ProTools, trying to find a PC was a nightmare and MAC had issues with ProTools after certain IOS updates. I’m open to either MAC or PC.

2)Does CuBase have any compatibility issues with MAC or Windows OS and or updrades?

3)Will my libraries and licenses transfer easily from ProTools to CuBase?

I have heard that Mac users have a hard time with Cubase at the moment as well as all other pro audio suites. Apple seem to bone it every time they do a major os update and the devs have to run around picking up the pieces.

libraries and licences, your VSTs should all just work , VST3 have to be in a specific folder anyway and you can tell Cubase where to find VST2. Sample libraries can be found in Cubase media bay unless they are software specific packs.

I don’t know poop about Mac’s just to let you know straight away :wink: So I will say get a PC, they are easier/cheaper to customize to your needs. With Windows 10 you don’t need much knowledge to make a low latency workstation that works for you. I have a pretty much standard Windows 10 installation with all the latest drivers for AMD chipset and graphics. Stable on 3ms latency - Cubase is working great for me on Windows 10 1909 build

Buy a new i9 or AMD 3950 computer (or similar CPU), get a well know motherboard with a lighting fast mv2 disc for the OS. There will be little to no problems. Then buy a proper soundcard with quality low latency drivers - depending on inputs needs etc look into RME, Steinberg and Universal Audio

as for your old stuff, it all depends. VST(I) works independently of which DAW you have, so does samples. If you just have the Pro Tools licenses there could be some things you can’t move to Cubase but most companies have one license no matter which plugin format you use, unlike the old days.

As a Mac user, get a PC at this point. This is what I will do.

*IF you still want to run Protools as well then check out the PC requirements for Protools and build that system on PC. Cubase will run fine. Lots of Protools users on PC these days.

1. PC for Cubase IMO
  2. Cubase has had more issues on Mac as of late
  3. Protools and Cubase plugin format is different. Cubase uses the standard VST2, VST3 format. PeeTools makes up their own. Mostly all plugins are available for AU (Mac), VST (Cubase and everyone else), AAX (Protools}

Heres a composer on PC, he is a pretty hardcore composer

*Cubase will make you sad as it doesn’t come with the CONSTANT CPU ERRORS that PeeTools has, please increase your buffer, reduce your plugins etc

Hi there

Been on PC for ever and have found Cubase has actually got more and more solid as time has gone on. Windows PC is probably the best option, for the moment at least

Best Regards, Dave

Thanks guys. All the work I’ve ever done before, and I still consider myself a newbie with all the hardware and stuff, was on my MACbook PRO, but it’s a dinosaur now and even in it’s prime, PT would make it crash almost every session. And even then, it was just my keyboard and my macbook…a few external drives for storage, but nothing else. My mixing board was digital…so I’m still a little in the dark on all the extra hardware people get.
That being said, I’ve been looking around for PC’s and yesterday I came up with this option.

What do you guys think?

The Dell XPS desktops are usually nicely built w/o being too excessively priced. I have an older 890 XPS from 2016 and it rocks. The only upgrades I’ve added to it over time are new nvidia 1660ti graphics card and more memory.

Personally I would stay away from Dell. You might get lucky and be fine but they crank out some lemons from time to time and their support is awful. For slightly more you can get a quality custom built audio PC that will still be much less than a comparable Mac. Google around for ‘custom audio PC’ and you should be able to find several companies.
I would recommend this guy, Jim Roseberry of Purrrfect Audio (yeah, he’s a cat guy). He used to build all the PC’s for Sweetwater early on. He was very active on the Cakewalk forums and super knowledgeable and helpful. Plus he can load your software and tweak everything and then back it all with a 2 year warranty.

Here’s his site. Purrrfect Audio

Or…have a go at building your own if time isn’t an issue. Seriously it’s not that hard, take it slowly, read manuals , watch you tube videos and use the helpful people on forums. Once you’ve done it you will then know how to fix any hardware problems yourself and you’ll have learned a very useful skill.

have a look on the hardware forum here and see what people are using or head over to the computer music forum on Gearslutz where there is a running thread with builds.

or…if you’re in the Eu/UK

Scan computers or

both build pro DAWs and are run by good folk.

:smiley: