I will preface this by saying I am currently on the trial version, but will definitely be taking the plunge. What an amazing product! I really don’t know why I haven’t discovered it sooner, but I have been extremely impressed. I have previously used WaveLab, RX and Audition for spectral editing, and this blows them all out of the water. Not to mention the ARA integration into my DAW of choice is a real game changer (no more launching an external editor, making changes, then pushing it back to the DAW).
So I haven’t been using it all that long, but have a few features I would love to see:
- MIDI control mapping: This would really speed my workflow up, and I imagine it would for others also. Eg. for my own personal workflow, I would map the Display control params Min Amplitude, Max Amplitude and FFT Size to MIDI control knobs, as I am constantly messing with these to zero in on things. I imagine brush control parameters would be another good one to have mapped.
- Selection Resizing: In WaveLab (and I think RX, though it has been a while) we can resize selections by dragging from edges. This is something I keep going to do out of muscle memory, and I do miss it.
- For selection fades (time & frequency), it would be nice to be able to offset the center of fades. Eg. if I wanted to derumble something, I would imagine wanting to do something along the lines of making a rectangular or frequency selection from the bottom of the spectrum to a point where the rumble is more or less indistinguishable from the general background noise, then applying a frequency fade which starts at the bottom of the selection and fades upwards.
- ARA Mode: This is probably one for the Nuendo/Cubase guys, but we need a way to force a clip waveform redraw for the material being edited in the host DAW (maybe there is a way to do this, but I haven’t found it). It’s disconcerting carving out a chunk of material in SpectraLayers and still seeing the original waveform in the DAW!
- And finally, a question: I prefer to work with linear frequency scaling and don’t really want selections to be scaled when I am dragging them up and down the frequency spectrum. Is there a way to toggle the scaling on/off?
Thanks again for such a great product!
EDIT: also, being able to map a key press to “Pick Source” for the Clone Stamp would be really nice