Compatability with Sibelius

If I buy Cubase Pro 12, can I export Sibelius files and create a better audio realisation of orchestral pieces than with the Sibelius MIDI sounds?

Hi,

The best transition format is the MusicXML. At the other hand, Dorico and Cubase works even better. They support even more informations in this format.

In any case, I would recommend to install Trial and test it, if it meets your needs.

Actually, being a user of both Nuendo and Dorico (and a former Sibelius user) I have much more sucess exporting straight MIDI from DAW into notation (N12 to D4). Now I don’t know if the reverse is true, so you should experiment both MIDI and MusicXML.
But why aren’t you using your vsts and libraries inside Sibelius? Of course MIDI arrangement is miles ahead in Nuendo/Cubase, even the new Key editor inside Dorico struggles where the one in Nuendo flies as usual, as Daniel S. (one of Dorico developers) told Dorico operates on a different layer of software than the DAW’s - but you can still use your favourite libraries inside Sibelius with no need to export to DAW, or maybe I’m missing something.

Yes, you can export MIDI (performance/playback data) and XML (score data) from Sibelius, then import it into Cubase Pro.

Personally, I do both…and keep visual scoring and playback tracks separate. I.E. I’ll have a folder in Cubase with tracks imported from XML files that are not even connected to ‘instruments’, and are strictly for ‘visual scoring’ and another folder with more free flowing ‘play back tracks’ that were exported by Sibelius/Finale/Etc in MIDI format (gets the keyswitches, tempo track, and other ‘translation’ information from the other scoring host). You don’t have to do it this way…it’s just a personal preference as I’ve learned over time it’s a little easier for me and adds some flexibility to my workflow.

In many cases you can save the state of your plugins in Sibelius and easily duplicate them over in Cubase (Not Sibelius sounds…but other VST2/AU/AAX instrument plugins that you might have), import the MIDI, and have a nearly identical ‘sounding’ setup as you left off with back in Sibelius to begin with…and further refine from there.

Some things to note this day in age. Sibelius is still stuck in VST2 world unless you are on a Mac, then it might do AU as well? This means windows Sibelius users can’t yet easily get HALion Sonic 7 (VST3, AU, and AAX only…high quality instruments that ship with Cubase, and can work in other hosts as well) working in Sibelius.

Cubase can still use VST2 instruments and effects as of version 12, but will be phasing out VST2 in coming versions. With this in mind, it might gradually become more difficult to get a 1:1 playback match to start out with, but there is no reason you can’t import the scores and get off to a fresh start with all new sounds/settings.

Cubase can also export MIDI and XML files that can be brought into Sibelius. It’s not a perfect import, and some things like percussion/drum tracks it can take some practice and fiddling to get those parts ‘playing back’ properly in Sibelius.

If you’re about to explore…I suggest grabbing Dorico SE (It’s free, and will also get you a peek into the HALion Sonic 7 player, and some good sounds that come with Dorico Elements). Ya might take a look at Dorico Elements and/or Pro as well. It’s ‘different’ than Sibelius, but it’s also on a whole new level. Even if you don’t find it attractive enough to ‘switch’, it’s still worth it to have a look at where the next generation of Scoring software is headed :slight_smile:

Thanks for this very clear, detailed answer. Exactly what I wanted to know. I am so grateful. It will allow me to go ahead and purchase Cubase and tinker with Dorico (which others have recommended but I didn’t know was free). Thanks again.

Thanks for these very helpful tips. Much appreciated.

Thanks so much .

SE is free but Elements or Pro are paid.

It’s basic at making scores but lets you open more complex stuff made with the paid versions. That key should also get you Sonic 7 and some general midi sounds to play with (in any VST 3, AU, or AAX host).