Compatibility of Cubase Studio 5 projects

Hi

My friend has Cubase Studio 5, but his new Mac runs El Capitan, and Studio 5 won’t run on this, so he will be upgrading shortly, probably to Cubase Elements 9.5. Can Studio 5 files be opened in or imported by Elements? Or is there a workaround using other versions as a stepping stone? (I have Cubase 5 and 9 Pro, so could maybe help.)

cheers

ian

He can’t upgrade to Cubase Elements, he can only upgrade to Cubase Artist or Cubase Pro.

Both Cubase Artist 9.5 and Cubase Pro 9.5 will be able to open and edit Cubase Studio 5 projects.

Thanks, that’s what I thought. The only thing is that Elements now is pretty much as good as Studio 5 was, and a lot cheaper, so I was wondering if there was a way of importing projects, other than exporting MIDI files, importing audio files individually and lining them all up by hand, as it were.

It would be great if there was a way I could export a cut-down version of a project, one that could be read by Elements, and the same for Cubasis, which I want to use for live work with simplified versions of bigger projects that started in Cubase.