Concerns about Steinberg Licensing

I still think the perfect world beating harmony would of been Steinberg /Rme , when Yamaha was mentions i did cringe for a while

I can think of many owners that would have been lot worse than Yamaha. At least Yamaha core business is in the industry to they have a name and reputation to protect.

@Highly-Controversial @cubace

What the hell yall talking about? Do you know what Nuage is? It’s probably the most legit sound post production DAW controllers.

Yamaha is popular also in the live sound FOH live mixer market, they have Nuendo Live integrated into their mix desks.

they make amazing bass guitars, electric guitars, and drums also.

Im not sure how we get in to controllers, but Nuage is probably the worst thing that have ever happened to cubase. It have made remote controllers get stuck in the 90’s.

Have you used one? It’s literally the Bugatti of DAW controllers…?

1 Like

Bit rude of you old bean , that’s your personal opinion , calm down you’ll bust a blood vestal , my opinion is my opinion so please politely ignore and walk on by if you don’t like it .
Steinberg/Rme , perfect match .

No. Have ever even seen one in real life. But it shows what cubase can do, and this functions are “hidden” for others to use.

If you want to talk about Yamaha and Nuage, or subscription, please open a new thread.

It seems like all concerns haven been raised and I can close this thread.

3 Likes

A few days ago, I received news from Steinberg about a new, “exciting” way of user control. So as part of the exciting new freedom of my use of Steinberg programs, I will have to check in at Steinberg’s headquarters once every 30 days to be allowed to continue working with Steinberg’s programs, for which I will pay him the same as before. Of course, it’s all because Steinberg likes me and wants me to be better.

Let’s think - I have an Elicenser key, activated the product one time and never had to dutifully report to Steinberg to keep this product working, moreover, sometimes I took the key out of one computer and put it in another, started my Cubase Artist 9 in seconds and after the problem.

Now I have to start the internet, check if, for example, Windows will not download any updates (it’s better on my Mac Pro) that will turn my computer configuration upside down, it’s better to turn on some protection, etc. to another computer, log in and activate it back, that’s just great …

I have a question for Steinberg - you are decommissioning the E-licenser, but why don’t you want to let us activate one time without having to log in and activate the product again?

We buy your expensive software honestly, and pirates will surely breach your security and won’t have to activate your Cubase, Dorico etc … We want to be honest and pay for your products. I am asking this because our freedom and right to any kind of independence and freedom to use software are being increasingly restricted.

I keep hearing that we are important to you, and I have the feeling that you are treating us like a herd of naive and stupid milk cows with no rights.

A few days ago, due to the new “exciting Steinberg facilitation”, I panicked and wanted to buy Cubase Artist 11 as the last product that would give me a little more freedom to work with music in my studio. But there was a sobriety. After all, I have two Mac Pro’s in my studio!

and I can buy logic X. It is a great DAW and costs just over two thousand kronor in the AppStore here in Norway, while Cubase Artist 11 costs over 3500! Works perfectly with my Native Instruments and EastWest Platinum Symphony Orchestra. Thanks to my ID I can install it on my MacPro without any problem and I don’t have to reactivate it! …

What’s more. A long time ago I worked on the Cakewalk Sonar. I found Sonar BandLabb on the internet. You have to activate it every 6 months (you can Offline) but … it’s completely free !! I downloaded it and installed it on my PC. It’s the same great Cakewalk as it used to be, I opened old projects on it. I’ve also read a lot about Ableton, Presonus etc …

Steinberg is not the only alternative for us, and we still have a choice. There are quite a few of your users out there who love the little bit of freedom they’ve had in using your programs up until now, so it makes sense for all who think alike to protest against the new era of miraculous control. If not, we would consider leaving your um … “family”. I personally will not spend a single euro more on your software with the new licensing method. Those who don’t respect my opinion won’t get any money from me.

Maybe something worth changing in Steinberg’s plans? Remember that the desire for super control and power, instead of going forward, breeds backward march and in the end … collapse.

7 Likes

We’re not entirely sure yet. We will provide further details in future. For now, please rest assured that we know it would be hugely inconvenient for our users to have to re-download and re-install all their content in order to achieve compatibility with the new system, and we will make sure this doesn’t happen. We have a number of possible approaches for how to migrate existing licenses for products that are not updated often, and we will evaluate them, then choose one. We will be sure to communicate any steps that users might need to take well in advance of those steps becoming necessary.

In short: we will have a solution for this. We will tell you more about it when we know what it will be.

4 Likes

There is still a good supply of USB-eLicensers available at present, and we expect them to be available for purchase for some time to come. However, we will not be manufacturing any more, so if you want to buy one or two spares, you should look at doing so in the medium term.

It’s worth pointing out, for the avoidance of doubt, that once the eLicenser infrastructure is eventually shut down – and we are talking some years into the future here – then it will no longer be possible to transfer licenses from one USB-eLicenser to another, as that process requires a connection to the eLicenser servers, which will no longer be available at that point.