Concert Band Score - percussion part with snare and bass on one staff -- how show rests?

I’m working on a concert band score and as in many concert band pieces I have the snare drum and bass drum on the same staff which I defined for a player “holding” a drum set. Is there any way to show rests in the snare drum part for example when only the bass drum is playing? Should I have setup things differently but could I have still gotten two instruments on one staff with two players?
Is there a way that I don’t know about yet to force rests on one staff line/space while there are notes on another line or space?

Yes, if you ensure that the bass drum and snare drum are notated in separate voices in the percussion kit, that should ensure that each instrument has its own set of rests, though Dorico will still consolidate rests that are identical for both instruments, since there’s typically no need to show identical rests on the same staff.

Thank you, Daniel. Next time I will know how to set things up. Looking at my drum set as I edited it, I seem to have bass drum for down-stem on voice 1 and snare drum for up-stem on voice 1. I will play around with it and try to get the music changed to two different voices.

the more I work with Dorico the more impressed with all that you and the team have accomplished – and equally impressed with how much there is for me to learn still!

1 Like

I’m trying to edit my current percussion staff without having to re-enter everything into a different staff, but I can’t find a way to change the voice on my bass drum notes, which were entered as voice-1/stem-down. I can’t see any way to determine which voice a note is in for the percussion staff. For all other instruments when I click on a note the lower panel shows me the pitch, the stem direction and the voice, but none of that shows on my drum set staff.
If I create a new percussion staff and define bass drum as voice 2, stem down and I enter a note I still do not see any rests for the snare drum, which I have created as voice 1, stem up. In measures where only the bass drum or only the snare drum are playing I want to see rests in the other part, and it’s not happening for me. I’ve read the section in the manual that you linked to and it doesn’t help me in this situation.
Can you please give me the steps necessary to have rests show for the snare drum, when there are only notes for the bass drum in a measure? For measures where I have for example a bass drum quarter note and a snare drum dotted-half, the appropriate rests appear. But if there is only the bass drum or only the snare drum, no rests appear for the instrument not being used in that measure.
I’m attaching a PDF of what the music is that I’m trying to replicate.
DrumPart.pdf (73.2 KB)

Notation Options > Percussion > Pad voice with rests

1 Like

Thank you, Craig_F!!! I swear I’ll get the hang of this program someday! Until then, I very much appreciate these solutions to my newbie questions!

1 Like

You’ll get there. I’ve been using Dorico since the day it came out 5+ years ago.

1 Like