Condensed score limitations

I setup condensing for 6 Horns as:

I’m gettin inconsistent results with simple 3-note chords, where 4,6,5 sometimes splits into two staves.

also, it looks like Dorico can’t do unisons like “a 3” or “a 6”

here’s a unison of 6 Horns,

with 1 condensed group 1,2,3,4,5,6

with 2 groups: 1,3,2 and 4,6,5

Screen Shot 2019-09-05 at 1.44.08 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-09-05 at 1.42.56 PM.png

another example of where a simple 2+2+2 marking without doubling the chords would be much cleaner.

Screen Shot 2019-09-05 at 1.50.47 PM.png

In general I think condensation for six horns in this kind of configuration is working pretty well. Certainly Dorico can handle “a 3”, unison, etc. perfectly well – take a look at the attached simple example.
six-horns.dorico.zip (1010 KB)

Any idea why the 2 clarinets in m. 22 have dynamics below in duplicate? If you look at the galley view, cl. 2 has just been copied and pasted from cl. 1.

???
dynamics.7z (470 KB)

Dorico looks at the groups of dynamics, and sees that the groups are different. If the groups are different, Dorico can’t condense them. Remove this “p” from the group and the duplicates go away (because then the dynamics really are identical).

Thanks Leo. :slight_smile:

I tried unlinking and ungrouping all those dynamics, no difference in the condensed result. :frowning:

Just in case it wasn’t entirely clear, the exact steps I meant in my previous message were:
a) in Galley view, select the “p” in the Clarinet 1 stave on the second beat of measure 25.
b) Right-click and go Dynamics > Remove from Group.

That results in this:

I did what you said, EXACTLY, and here is the result in the full score. The systems are different because in the example I sent you I deleted all the other instruments.

I also tried unlinking and ungrouping ALL the dynamics in this passage, and … you can see the result.

And I just tried it with the little file I sent, here is the result of that.

There must be something that’s grouped differently (or a hairpin that has a different attachment point, perhaps) in the same “phrase”, or something that’s inconsistently vertically linked to other dynamics in some other players. I’m good at this stuff but I can’t predict what you’ve deleted.