Condensed staff labels: number positioning

As you can see in the screenshot, the numbers 1 and 2 aren’t neatly aligned above each other, and also positioned slightly too low with respect to the staff. I think this is due to the default figures in my font of choice (Alegreya) being both oldstyle and proportional, whereas this would work fine with lining, tabular figures. All of those options are provided in the font as OpenType features, but Dorico can’t access those (yet). Apart from hacking the font itself I don’t really see a workaround for this, but consider this a humble feature request. :slight_smile:
Schermafbeelding 2019-10-07 om 15.14.20.png

Unfortunately I don’t think there’s anything much we can do about this at the moment. I agree that it would really be good to have access to the different types of numerals in OpenType fonts, but I’m not sure when we’re going to be able to handle this: there’s no support in Qt for these features at present, which means we would potentially have to add that to Qt ourselves.

I was afraid that might be the case concerning OpenType in general. For this specific case however, is it an idea to include options about positioning the numbers in Engraving Rules? They’re already detailed enough in other areas of the program :wink: Thanks for replying, cheers!

I’m not sure what options we could provide: we’re using the font metrics to position the numbers, so we’d need to provide some kind of offset, but it’s hard to know what the offset should be relative to. Would a single constant offset be sufficient? I don’t think it would, unfortunately.

Agreed, the vertical offset is tricky. But left- center- or right-aligning the numbers (like the existing option for entire Staff Labels) might be an option to solve the other half of the “problem”. Which is hardly a problem at all if I’m honest.