Condensed staff showing singular names as staff label

Hi there!

On the first page of music the Oboe staff (which has Ob. 1 and Ob. 2 condensed into it) shows Oboe 1/2 instead of Oboi 1/2 which is the correct plural. I’ve checked and the plural instrument names are as should be (i.e. Oboi) but this does not reflect in the staff label on the first page.

Perhaps I’m missing something… I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong.

Condensed Oboe staff on score

Dorico does not yet use plural names for condensed staves. It’s planned, but not yet implemented, I’m afraid. I hope we will be able to address it soon.

1 Like

Thanks for that bit of info, @dspreadbury. So, is the workaround for now to write the plural name in the singular window? Or is there some other way to achieve this I’m not aware of?

Indeed, for the time being you’d have to change the singular names of both oboes instruments to use the plural form.

1 Like

Thanks again, Daniel. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond and as always for your hard work.

[OT] Incidentally, the Italian word oboe, or oboè in old spelling, is a French loanword, derived from hautbois in its 17th-century French pronunciation. Because of its final stressed syllable it used to be officially indeclinable in Italian, i.e. the plural was also oboe (or oboè).
In modern Italian, however, the stress is on the first syllable, and the more regular form oboi has become acceptable.

1 Like

Infatti, è proprio così come dici, caro @PjotrB. Grazie per l’approfondimento. Un caro saluto.