Hello, wonderful forum. I’m having problems with a deadlined copy job project. I’m in the late-middle of it, lots of formatting to do. I received the music as XML generated by another composer’s Finale. I’ve done too much other work to start over or ask for another XML with new settings or whatever (in case anyone wanted to suggest that). I’m attaching a file of just one movement, though the whole thing has the sort of issues I’ll be describing. I don’t just post this because I have a deadline and am nervous (well, that is true) but also because your help has got to be of use to others who may be in the same situation. Or maybe I’m the only one, haha.
Run - Dorico forum help.dorico (3.0 MB)
First off, please have a look at the staff labels for the horns, full names for page 1 then abbreviated for subsequent systems.
It’s weird that full name is fine while “Hn. in F” for I & II get two labels crammed together, one with “in F” inline and the other with it below, while Hn. in F III & IV show one label. I wondered if the transposition (Layout options > Staves and systems, instrument pitch or transposition: show in abbreviated labels) in the label having that problem might be the source. But when I uncheck the box for show in abbreviated I still get this, see Hn. I & II.
I thought (hoped, really) that there was just a space or something in one of the staff label names but I checked and they’re all named exactly the same. I confess to some inexperience when it comes to player cards in Setup so perhaps I’m missing something but I don’t see it. FYI, when I imported this thing it took me a while to get the horns sorted and labelled right, so maybe I messed up something then but I can’t think what.
Now I did have to set up some exceptions in Layout Options for condensing. Basically I need for this wind band score to show each line of clarinet and trumpet on its own staff while the flute, oboe, bassoon, alto sax and trombone get condensed (no weirdness happens with those two groups excluded from condensing). But the horns cannot all condense together of course, what I need is 1 & 2 together and 3 & 4 together, so I made custom condensing groups for those. Is that part or even the source of the issue?
Second issue: I don’t know why I’m getting this weird single-stem/not single-stem behavior. Even in the first picture above you can see already with bar 5 that the horn’s stems are up and down, while in the bars just before and after they are joined single. I’m wondering if it’s a property or maybe bug with custom condensing groups, that they get weird with this sort of thing. And I don’t think I left any dissimilar elements, different dynamics or length items or what have you. In fact, for this whole thing signposts are on, there are no hidden items, there are presently zero condensing changes in the whole file, there aren’t even any system or page breaks yet.
I wondered if it was because that bar is a compound meter, but the condensed trombones staff just below it doesn’t have the issue. I thought maybe there was some difference between the horn staves but I checked in galley view and there is nothing.
Look at bar 21, the various condensed wind staffs (none are custom groups) showing some chords single-stem and others not.
And bar 51–53 are interesting. Notice how the first half of 51 the stems behave as wanted, then not for the second half of the bar. In bar 52 they’re correct the whole way. Then in bar 53 the first two eighth notes are all showing wrong with opposite direction stems while the second two eighths are a mixture of right and wrong, different results in different condensed staves! The horns there (at 51 and onward) have their own brand of crazy (second pic).
(For what follows, note that in Notation Options > Condensing I have Allow single-stem unison and Allow mid-phrase unison.)
On page 8 horns 3,4 come in on unison and the score rightly shows “a2”. Then on page 9, a2 just goes away for those horns as well as missing from 1,2 when they enter. The same notes are treated as if I was preventing single-stem unison, which I am not.
After that the on again/off again opposite stems which I don’t want for chords continues, and you can really see in the file all the lost vertical space this causes.
Last one, something I didn’t expect. Right at bar 65, with the horn stem thing still misbehaving, out of nowhere the bones’ unison starts showing as if I were preventing single-stem unison. The previous page had unisons and they showed single-stem a2 as they should, but suddenly not here. I copied and re-copied 65–67 from tbn I to II, they are totally the same yet this happens. It is not the fact that the last bar has differences, I tried moving that and it makes no difference. A similar thing goes on in the upper winds (second pic), a quite visible varying behavior in bars 73–77 and I don’t see a reason behind the scenes. Maybe you will, dear reader. I certainly hope so!!