Condensing issues in SATB: amalgamating dynamics, lyrics, and stems

Hi!

I’m facing some issue condensing an SATB score, and I’d love to work out what I’m doing wrong!

1. In two places (b7, b17), identical dynamics in the Alto 1 and 2 parts are duplicated, creating an unnecessary mess.
  2. The lyrics and stems for the Altos are amalgamated correctly from bar 21, but beforehand, the lyrics are unnecessarily duplicated and the stems kept separate.

How can I make sure that Alto 1 and 2 have amalgamated stems, lyrics and dynamics throughout their divisi?

Many thanks,

Joe
Disentanglement.dorico.zip (1.38 MB)
Screenshot 2020-08-05 at 14.25.15.png
Screenshot 2020-08-05 at 14.24.51.png

If you go to bar 7, insert a manual condensing change, select the alto and scroll down to the bottom and place them both into upstem voice 1 then everything combines just fine.

Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 9.41.36 AM.png

Thanks for the suggestion! Strangely, that doesn’t do it for me: instead, it removes the condensing until after the system break and then applies it correctly after that. Have I missed something?

Screenshot 2020-08-05 at 15.11.36.png

In your second screenshot you applied the condensing at measure 8 rather than measure 7.

We still have a good deal more work to do on condensing for vocal staves, and these sorts of issues are good illustrations of some of the problems you can still run into. Romanos401 is right that condensing changes with forced manual condensing are the right approach at the moment, particularly since you typically need your condensing to change in the middle of what Dorico will consider a single phrase; sometimes, simply creating a condensing change and activating it for the voice part in question will be sufficient to give it a nudge in the right direction, but sometimes you may need to explicitly define the manual condensing you want to see.

I may be wrong, but for vocal lines (which don’t need to be displayed as separate parts), you can achieve much the same effects with divisi staves and restoring unison; or just putting chords/two voices on one staff where you need it.