Condensing oddity: missing time signature

Hi all. Sorry if this has been brought up before, but I noticed strange anomaly in my condensed score today. In this measure, I have a time signature of 2/4 for all instruments besides these two staves in the middle that are in 6/8. I had to do the hidden 6:4 tuplet workaround to keep the measure length aligned with the other staves in 2/4. No problems, everything seemed fine.

However, in engrave mode with condensed mode on, the 6/8 time signature mysteriously vanishes. Intended behavior, a bug, or is it something I’m doing incorrectly here?

Galley view:
galley view
Condensed:
condensed

I doubt losing the time signature is intentional. I suppose it is an aspect of condensing that has not caught up with alternate staff time signatures.

You may need to check out MusGlyphs at Notation Central to see if that provides a work-around.

You’re probably right. I was able to create a 6/8 time signature glyph via custom playing technique as a workaround for this issue.

If you’re able to cut down the project to just the affected bars in the affected players, I’d be interested to see it if you can attach it here.

I realize this is old, and therefore probably logged, but since no score was posted here I thought I would add one, just in case it fell under the radar. This also includes individual key signatures, which endure the same fate, but do appear on the next system.
Condensing and individual Ks and TS.dorico (566.8 KB)

HI folks:

Has anyone found a solution to this problem yet? In the attached cut-down example, the bassoons, trombones, timpani, tambourine, cellos and basses have local time signature changes in bar 52 which are visible in the uncondensed score and the instrumental parts; however, when condensing is invoked, the time signature change disappears for the bassoons and trombones in the score.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
David
Missing Time Signatures.dorico (801.7 KB)

Unfortunately there’s no good solution for this at present. Local time signatures and condensing are not the happiest of bedfellows.

1 Like

Thanks for the prompt response, Daniel. Is this on the list for patching soon?

I can’t say it’s on the list for immediate attention, no, I’m afraid.

It would be very nice to get a dedicated condensing-related patch at some point. It really is one of Dorico’s best features for engraving orchestral music. Dorico’s general workflow for making scores & parts complimented by condensing really is the best compared to all other notation products in the market.

Just that this, some other bugs, and a few much needed improvements in this area stand in the way of that perfection :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, we’re quite aware of the remaining shortcomings in condensing, and we absolutely plan to address them, but there are opportunity costs associated with every decision to work on each thing we work on. We want to set aside some time to address some of the remaining issues in condensing, but I can’t say for sure when this will be.

3 Likes