Condensing Violins and Violas?

Just getting to grips with the Setup for a piece with lots of scoring changes for strings:

Group 1: Violin 1, Violin 2, Viola; Group 2: Violin 1, Violin 2, Viola.

Flow 2: Tutti Violins on 1 staff; tutti Violas on 1 staff

Flow 3: 1 Group, but everyone playing,

Flow 4: Tutti Group 1 on one staff, Tutti Group 2 on one staff.

Is this something I can do with Condensing, or would it be easier to do separate Players and merge them in the parts? Particularly condensing Violas and Violins on the same staff.

Sounds interesting. As I recall you can’t use condensing to combine Violin 1 and Violin 2 at the moment though. I think you have to look at the second option.

Hmm. That’s weird. There’s a setting to exclude violins, but even when it’s unchecked and with custom groups made, Violin’s don’t condense.

The option will be to change the staff label with divisi, and Hide the doubling staves in the score.

You should find that violins condense provided they’re section players, as long as the option to condense section players is enabled.

Ah: you’re right - it just wasn’t condensing on the passage I tested because of overlapping notes.

In fact, I can Condense 2 violins and a Viola, giving me a G clef in the score. And I can set ‘unis.’ in Engraving Options to nothing, so they don’t show!

Is there anything I can do to improve this:

Screenshot.png

There’s no way to override the staff labels, that I can think of. So I think you’d end up needing to hide the real staff labels on that system by way of properties on a system break, manually indent the start of the system, and add text.