Condensing with Transposing Instruments (Key Sig bug)

When dealing with condensing transposing instruments in a transposing score, Dorico 3 sometimes incorrectly changes the key signature to concert, but leaves the notes transposed. When I was testing condensing with a score started in Dorico 3 it seemed to work correctly, so perhaps this is a bug in the conversion from 2.2 process?

Here’s a page with 4 Bb Trumpets from a transposing score created in 2.2 (not XML import):

When I turn on Condensing I get this, with the incorrect key signature:

The actual transposed pitches are correct, just the key signature is wrong. To anyone reading the score though, it would initially appear that the Tpts are written in Concert though as they share the same key sig with the Tbns. This gets even more confusing when Dorico condenses 3 Tpt staves but not the 4th as 3 staves have the incorrect key signature, but the independent stave has the correct one:

When I did a brief test with a native 3.0 score I didn’t encounter this problem. Can anyone else replicate this condensing key sig bug? Does it make a difference if it’s a 3.0 or 2.2 file? Thanks!

As discussed in another thread, we’re aware of this problem and a fix will be forthcoming.

Has this problem been solved meanwhile? I am on version 5…0.20 and I get this:

Condensed clarinets and horns have no key signature while condensed trumpets do.

1 Like

Has this been solved. Just ran into it. (Dorico 5.0.20.2042)

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum, @Ashwells. The original problem as reported in 2019 has indeed been fixed: could you please provide a minimal example that demonstrates the issue you’re running into?

Sorry, the problem in my score is NOT solved! Please look at clarinets and horns. Condensed Hn 1 and 2 have no key signatures while uncondensed Hn 3 has.
Dorico 5.0.20.2042

As Daniel mentioned above, it would be helpful to post a file “that demonstrates the issue you’re running into.” I don’t get the missing key sigs with a brief version of your music.

Unless the development team can replicate the issue, they can’t fix it, so it certainly would be helpful if you could post a cut-down version of your file that exhibits this behavior.

2 Likes

TestCondensing.dorico.zip (1.8 MB)
Here the file with the condensing issue

I’ve just highlighted the global key signature change, and the fact that only some of the key changes highlight indicate that all of the remaining players have independent key signatures.

The fix is to select and delete these (currently black, independent key signatures), one by one, until when you select one key signature the whole vertical stack highlights.

I don’t know whether you started out by importing MusicXML or whether you inadvertently inputted local key signatures, but that’s the fix for your particular problem (and it’s not the same problem that was reported further up this thread).

3 Likes

Thanks so much, pianoleo! Problem solved, and yes, I started this project with an xml import.