Configuring a Push Encoder for Track Navigation in Cubase

Hi Everyone,

I’m working with a controller (Xone:2 from Allen & Heath) and am facing a issue while setting up my MIDI remote in Cubase.

I’ve successfully mapped a push encoder on the controller to function within Cubase’s MIDI Remote interface. The encoder is set up with CC for rotation and Note On for the push function, and it’s responding as expected. So far, so good.

Here’s where I’m stuck: I want to use this push encoder for track navigation – rotating left to select the previous track and rotating right to select the next track. I’ve looked into the MIDI Remote Mapping Assistant hoping to assign these actions (select previous/next track) to the rotary movement of the encoder. However, it seems I can only assign the encoder to one action at a time, either previous or next, but not both. This limitation prevents me from using the encoder for bi-directional track navigation.

Has anyone here managed to set up a single rotary encoder to handle both “select previous track” and “select next track” actions based on the rotation direction in Cubase? If so, I’d greatly appreciate any tips or guidance on how to achieve this.

Thanks

Hi, this cannot be done directly using the mapping assistant. One has to use scripting if wanting to do this strictly with the MIDI Remote API.
However, you can use external utilities, such as Bome MIDI Translator Pro, and then conditionally assign two different CCs for the directions of your encoder, and then map these CCs to the commands for the track navigation.

1 Like

Thanks for the help, @m.c !

I’ve been experimenting with Bome MIDI Translator Pro, and it’s very powerful.
I’ve successfully configured the encoder to output two distinct CCs conditionally, as per your advice.
Originally, It sends CC3 with a value of 127 for a left turn and CC3 with a value of 1 for a right turn. By following your instructions, I’ve managed to set it to generate CC5 with value 1 for left turns and CC6 with value 1 for right turns.
Now, this is where things get tricky — the modified output is being sent from Bome’s virtual port, not directly from the controller.

So, I’m kind of facing an issue still back in Cubase. The MIDI Remote section still only listens to the original controller inputs and doesn’t recognize the Bome MIDI output. Even though I’ve confirmed in Cubase’s studio setup that the Bome MIDI ports are active and have unchecked the controller ports to prevent any conflicts, the MIDI Remote Mapping section still doesn’t pick up the new CCs.

I’m right at the finish line here and can’t seem to map CC5 and CC6 to track navigation in Cubase. any insights on how I can get Cubase to recognize the Bome MIDI ports in the MIDI Remote section instead of the Controller?

(DESACTIVATING THE K2 and Acivating the Bome Midi Port)

Sure. Just build a second remote with its ports set to the BMT ones, and assign the new midi ccs to the components you want.

1 Like

Yes, I missed that haha.
Tested it . and I acheived the desired result.
Thank you.

1 Like