Confused by 8vb behaviour

I’m trying to use the 8vb sign - when I add an F2 to the bass clef of a piano stave, and then add 8vb, the notes get moved an octave lower. I cannot access a page called Notation Options to turn on or off the clef indicators if that is what is needed - is this an Elements restriction or am I doing something wrong?

I simply want to avoid having a load of ledger lines for the bass part of the piano if I can.

Are you definitely inputting an 8vb octave line, not an 8va? When you add an octave line using either the Clefs panel or the clefs and octave lines popover, Dorico automatically notates the existing pitches as required - for e.g. an 8va line, this causes notes to appear an octave lower on the staff for the region where the octave line is present.

Dorico Elements doesn’t have Notation Options, that’s right.

definitely an 8vb. So I’m a little confused - I want to write the pitches within the stave and mark that they should be played an octave lower - why would I use 8vb to move the notes an octave lower when I can simply - errrr…move the notes an octave lower?! Which I don’t want. What do you suggest is the simplest way to achieve this - within the constraints of Elements?

When you add an 8vb, you should see that the notes contained within the 8vb line (or 8ba line) jump up an octave, e.g. the original pitch is retained. Are you perhaps inputting the wrong kind of “8”?
Jun-04-2021 14-43-04

1 Like

I’m using the 8vb from the Clef side panel - but I see my error - I should put the pitches in the lower register then add the 8vb - simple (and totally obvious duh…!!) mistake on my part - thanks for your quick response @Lillie_Harris & @pianoleo

So I input an F1, then add the 8vb and the note displays as F2, perfect thanks!

I see that the score actually displays 8ba - the panel suggests one is inputting 8vb - I see there’s been a thread on this topic, would it not be better to be consistent in terminology?