Confused by preset management for plugins

I’m having an issue understanding the preset management for plugins in Cubase. For example, I’m running a UAD reverb and wanted to just quickly browse through the presets. I start with the preset window above the plugin (default) and use the arrows to go through presets. However, I noticed that not all the presets available are in this list - its actually missing presets that I can load through UA’s own preset loading system. Why is this / how do I fix it?

So now I try to use UA’s own preset system but its a PITA as I have to click on their folder and manually choose a preset making it impossible to quickly go through their presets. I then tried clicking on the cube and choosing “load preset” and it was empty! So again, I selected the cube next to the preset name and choose “convert program list to VST presets” but again this did not make all the presets available in this view either.

To add to the mystery, I created my own preset and saved it by choosing the cube next to the preset name and selecting “save preset” - and when I go looking for it in the preset list its not there! It only shows up if I select the cube again and choose “load preset.” Why are there two ways to view presets - one in the preset list, and one hidden in this cube? And why do they seem to not be relating to each other?

So I’m confused. How do I get cubase to recognize all the presets for plugins, not just a seemingly random amount? How do I get my personal presets I save to show up in this list? This seems to be true with most, if not all of my third party plugins and instruments I’m using - only a handful of presets are showing up in the list while the actual plugins contain far more presets than what is shown.

Hi,

The presets, which are under the “cube” are stored internally in Cubase (they are VST Presets), and you can call (and manage) them by using MediaBay. The presets, which are in the list (on the left-side from the cube) are internal presets of the plug-in (and you will find them even in another DAW, if you will use this plug-in). These presets are not in MediaBay

Presets stored internally in the MediaBay offer you much more possibilities to manage them. You can use your own filters, Categories, Styles, Rating, etc.

To convert plug-ins internal presets to the MediaBay (under the “cube”), click to the cube, and select Convert Program list to VST Presets.

Thank you, but I still have questions.

1. Why are presets missing from the plugin list vs the actual plugin? For example, my UAD reverb has about 20 presets in the cubase list, but in UAD plugin itself it has over 50 presets. How do I fix this? It seems Cubase is not reading all the available presets. Is this a bug?

2. Like I said in my OP, When I convert program list to VST presets its still missing the presets that are in the plugin, but do not show up in the plugin list.

3. It is MUCH easier to flip through presets by clicking the triangle button in the preset list than having to click on the cube, choose “open preset” and then manually click on each one. Is there a better way to quickly browse VST presets?

4. When I save a preset using the plugins save procedure (so its available in all my DAWS) it is NOT added to the preset list in cubase. Is this a bug?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Are these bugs or user error?

1. The Convert Program list to VST Presets will solve this. Presets are not converted automatically.

2. Sorry, I don’t have an UAD, so I cannot test it with UAD plug-ins.

3. Then, you can even store your preset inside the UAD presets, not in the Cubase VST Presets, by using the cube. I would say, if you click the “folder” icon on the bottom of the plug-in, there is the save preset option.

4. No, if you are doing it this way, you have to convert it to the VST Preset again.

In general, you should choose one way only. Store- and load all presets as plug-in presets (UAD) only, or store- and load all presets as Cubase VST Presets only. At this moment, you are mixing them, which confuses you and needs extra work.

Thanks again for your attempts to help, but I guess I’m not being clear.

1. I did this already before I posted (as I described in paragraph 2 of my original post). When I Convert Program list to VST Presets its only converting the presets I see in my list and NOT all the presets for the plugin. For example the plugin has a preset called “large hall” but this preset is not showing up in Cubase at all, where as another preset called “small room” is showing up fine in both. The main problem is the preset list in cubase and the preset list in the plugin are not matching. Cubase is only loading part of the list!

2. this happens (for me) not only with UAD plugins, but with other 3rd party plugins and instruments as well.

If we can solve #1 where not all my plugins presets are showing up in Cubase’s preset list, I could then use the Convert Program list to VST Presets successfully. As it stands now Cubase is not reading all the presets for these plugins and it would take me far to long to load each one and resave them individually as this problem is happening with a majority of my plugins.

p.s. I still do not understand why if I save a preset using the preset manager in the plugin (not cubase) why is it not showing up Cubases plugin list (NOT the VST preset list which I understand is a different thing - but the actual preset list with the arrow up / down buttons?)

1. OK. It’s hard to guess, here. Could you make a video, how do you do it? Maybe we will find something.

Regarding to p.s.: This is handled by UAD, it’s completely internal in the plug-in.

1. I did this already before I posted (as I described in paragraph 2 of my original post). When I Convert Program list to VST Presets its only converting the presets I see in my list and NOT all the presets for the plugin. For example the plugin has a preset called “large hall” but this preset is not showing up in Cubase at all, where as another preset called “small room” is showing up fine in both. The main problem is the preset list in cubase and the preset list in the plugin are not matching. Cubase is only loading part of the list!

Cubas cannot convert preset outside the list you have to load the FXP preset (here from UAD EMT 140) one by one in the list, load one clic next in the list load another, etc… and clic to convert again.

p.s. I still do not understand why if I save a preset using the preset manager in the plugin (not cubase) why is it not showing up Cubases plugin list (NOT the VST preset list which I understand is a different thing - but the actual preset list with the arrow up / down buttons?)

This list is FXB preset bank made by the Plugin Manufacturer, and came back to default when you reload your plugin.

you can make shortcut to open the VST3 Preset windows of your plugin (FX or Instruments)

Thank you so much HS87 - this is starting to make more sense. So I guess there is no way for me to add the missing presets to this (NON VST) FXB preset list in cubase. So in essence this list is worthless, which is a real shame as its very quick and easy to browse presets using the arrow.

Thank you for the suggestion to make a shortcut to Open the VST3 preset window, but is there a way to create a key command to simply “load next VST3 preset?” That would help solve this issue, though I do not look forward to having to manually save each preset as a VST3 preset. :frowning:

Thank you for the suggestion to make a shortcut to Open the VST3 preset window, but is there a way to create a key command to simply “load next VST3 preset?” That would help solve this issue, though I do not look forward to having to manually save each preset as a VST3 preset.

Yes you have “next” & “previous” shortcut for presets, and you can convert all the preset that come with your plugins, I see you use UAD & I use it too, for my EMT 140 I have 64 preset in my VST3 Preset Windows and so on…

Hello! I am having the same issue with cubase 11 and Uad plug-ins. I can see only some of the presets in the list. Did you guys find a solution for this? I guess one can always manually add the presets but come on, it’s 2021. UAD and Steinberg, what it’s going on?

1 Like

Kind of the same issue. I have the list of first bank of sound of my Korg Wavestation Plugin.
(un)fortunatly this plugin has all the External card that we can purchase with the plugin. there are a lot of preset. except loading each one and saving them each one by hand, i didn’t find any other solution as the “list” only show the preset from the first Ram.

is there at least a way that this “list” who is totally useless would be replaced by the VST one, like in other plugins so by clicking on them we have directly access to the Mediabay list for this plugin ?

sure we can click on the arrow, then “load preset”, or call the mediabay with a shortcut, but it’s like trying 5464 keys to open a door, and we just can open it.

any suggestion would be really welcome , thanks !