Confusion about audio output

So, I plugged my headphones into my MacBook and I can choose in the OS menu bar whether the sound should come out of the internal laptop speakers or the headphones. Now, when running Dorico and opening a project I noticed that it outputs the sound through the headphones while I’ve selected the internal speakers in the menu bar. I have to go into the Device Setup where I see two checkboxes for the output and there is indeed the headphone output selected. Also, I can’t change the volume of the headphones via my keyboard unless I go into System Preferences > Sound and move the slider there (keyboard will only change the sound of the internal speakers).

Should Dorico not switch automatically with whatever I select in the OS?

No, some apps offer the Option “System Device” (such as Logic), but in Dorico you have to actively chose the output you want to use. I think it’s because it’s using the cubase audio engine, and the ASIO-System (which on the mac needs the ASIO2CoreAudio translation)

Logic also has its own audio output setting, independent of the OS.

It’s pretty standard for ‘pro’ apps that deal with audio to have their own control.

1 Like

yes, but you can chose “System Device”, and I think that’s default.

I do that, but it doesn’t work. Dorico uses the same output it used when I last ran it, regardless of whether something is plugged into the headphone jack. If it’s not the same as the last run, I have to unplug and re-plug (or vice-versa) to make Dorico use the current System device.

The standard approach to this in Dorico and other Steinberg apps is to use an Aggregate Device created in Audio MIDI Setup, as described here:

OK, I tried that but now it comes out of both, the headphones and the laptop speakers. :thinking: I want it to only use headphones if they are plugged in, otherwise the internal speakers.

I must say this is driving me nuts. I have a bluetooth headset and even if I manage to select it in device setup it is not working. It only works if I disable the realtek audio in my control panel that I can then (after of course restarting Dorico) listen through my headphones. If I want to have someone else listen through the laptop - I go back to my control panel :frowning:

I can also plug in my headset - but I haven’t figured out how this works. Another time.

Please can you find a simpler solution?

Hi @Uuttaa , you are on Windows, right? And which device driver do you use?
Quite often the built-in microphones of the BT-headsets make trouble. But also sample rate can be an issue, if e.g. Dorico is set to 44.1kHz whereas BT-headsets often can only deal with 48kHz.
Could you please provide a screenshot of the device control panel? Thanks

Hi Ulf, thanks so much for your offer to help. Here a few screenshots. Situation: on starting the laptop the Bluetooth headset automatically connects. At a later point I open Dorico and am unable to listen to my creations :wink: . Then going to device set-up I cannot see my headset nor enable it. I would have to restart Dorico to have the headset connect to Dorico.

DeviceManagerAudioInputAndOutputs

Any suggestions on a resolution would be very welcome.
This headset can also be plugged in with an audio cable, I haven’t gotten this to work either, but this might be a different problem. I haven’t had the time to look into this any further yet.
Thank you.

and just one more - all I had to do was to restart Dorico. I did not need to change any settings.

Hi @Uuttaa , thanks for the screenshots.
And you can see, that if in the Device Control Panel nothing or no proper device gets shown in the output section, Dorico will not produce any sound. Well, in your screenshot it shows an output device, but with a configuration of zero audio channels, which has the same effect, namely nothing to be heard from Dorico.
Why the output device is not recognized properly, I don’t know, but I recommend to upgrade the Steinberg driver. You have version 1.0.6 installed but version 1.0.7 is available that you can download from here.
Let me know how that goes and if you still have trouble with the output ports.

Unfortunately no change.

Once I restart Dorico it recognises the headphones and I have no issues.

The problem only occurs when I connect the headphones after I start Dorico. If I connect them beforehand all is good.

I might have to live with it.
The same happens in “Better Audio” (audacity), so it is most likely not a Dorico problem.

Thank you for trying to resolve this.

Well, true, Dorico’s Plug 'n Play does not work really well. And audio devices must be already plugged in before starting up the app. Otherwise Dorico won’t recognize them. Sorry for the inconvenience.