connecting to cubase usb to usb

HELP HELP HELP!

I have recently bought a roland fp-30 and am struggling to set it up with cubase, i would like to use it as a midi keyboard.
I am a complete newbie at this, just looking to use it for personal use and muck around on it. I cannot find any straight forward answers as to whether I can or not and it is driving me CRAZZZZYYYYY.

it doesn’t have standard midi outputs, it has USB A and USB B instead and i am trying to use a USB B (from the piano) to USB A (my computer.

Can anyone tell me if this is possible and if so HOW?

According to the manual there are two usb ports on the back of your piano, they’re labelled ‘usb computer’ and ‘usb memory’ in the manual (p5 of18) in that order. logic would dictate the former would be port ‘a’ so i would most likely try that one instead. There are pictures in the manual too which will help you which i got from teh roland site here

you’ll also need to turn local control off if you wish to record and play back the midi to and from the piano as this will lead to double triggering of your piano sounds, again this is covered in the manual i linked to.

The cubase manual contains very straight forward instructions on how to set up a midi track to record and play midi from once you’ve completed the above…

hth!

First you need to plug the Connection in. When you´re Roland FP-30 got an USB-Type-B-Port you just need to attach the connection with a USB-Cable from the USB B-Type-Port to the USB A-Type Port of the Working-PC.

After that, be shore that you running Cubase with the Roland FP-30 on. it´s either power supplied directly by the USB-Bus or the normal DC-Power Supply. Than open the Transport-Panel (F2) if closed, and look if something happend in the barely right side of the panel. When there is a high-lighted mostly blue peak is going up, when you type in on any key,
it´s done. if not we need to get more in depth.

It definitely can be connected.
Generally speaking, follow these steps…

1- Plug in your keyboard to the USB port before starting Cubase. Make sure Windows recognizes it.
2- Start Cubase (now it should recognize it). If you are using a Windows based PC the steps to connect the keyboard first, before starting Cubase, is necessary for Cubase to recognize it.
3- Turn on your keyboard.
4- Set the midi function on your keyboard to “local off”. See your keyboard op manual for that description and procedure.
5- On a “instrument track” (not “midi track”) set the input to “All MIDI Inputs”. This can be accomplished in the track inspector section.
6- Choose a VSTi and pick a sound available from the VSTi you chose. Make sure the VSTi is enabled and not bypassed.
7- Enable the instrument track record and monitor functions.
8- Make sure the mute function is not activated on the instrument track or on the main stereo out track.

Now you should be able to hear your sounds and record.

Regards. :sunglasses: