Connection between Music Font and Default Text

Bravura seems to be automatically connected to Academico as Default Text.
Petaluma seems to be automically connected to Petaluma Script as Default Text.
For example if I have changed the Default Text font as well as the Music font in a project, each time I choose Bravura as Music font the Default Text font is automatically reversed to Academico.
The same goes with Petaluma and Petaluma script.

Is it possible to prevent this connection?
If yes where and how to edit this connection?

I have several reasons for this.
One is that I may decide to change the default text font in a project and let it parent to several other Paragraph Styles.
After doing this I like to test different Music Fonts but without changing the default text font.

Another reason is that in the process of creating a SMuFL font I would like to understand where and how this connection is done.
I assume that it is in the Metadata file but I can’t find it.

It’s not in the metadata file: Dorico does this as part of the actions carried out by the Engrave > Music Fonts dialog. We can’t easily record what font you used to have set for e.g. the ‘Default text’ paragraph style and then restore that when you switch (say) to Petaluma and back again, but perhaps what we can do is only change the text font when you are changing from Petaluma, rather than when you are changing to Bravura.

Looking at the code a little, it’s not quite as simple as I thought it might be. But I have made a note of this and I’ll take a closer look when I have a bit of time.

1 Like

Thanks for your answer.

If I understand correctly, this dependence between the Music Font and the Default Text Font is integrated as a mechanism within Dorico and it is not controllable by the user.

I notice that the commercial available SMuFL font “MTF-Cadence” does not automatically changes the Default Text Font when selected though it has a specific text font called “MTF-Cadence Text”.
I assume then that if if I create a SMuFL music font, I will not be able to tie my music font to a specific text font and this particular property is only available for SMuFL fonts created by Steinberg?

Thank you for considering this but what would be usefull for me at the moment is if I could simply quickly test any SMuFL music font (including Bravura or Petaluma) without affecting the paragraph styles that I may have changed.
To achieve this right now it is necessary to first untie any parent-dependency between the paragraph styles I changed and the “Default Text Font”.
BTW it is not a problem for me, I just try to make sure that I understand how Dorico is working.

I also notice that selecting Bravura from the menu Engrave/Font “Styles/Default Music Font” does not affect the “Default Text Font” but then the “engravingDefaults” settings of the metadata file are not taken into consideration, so it’s not an option to accurately test/compare Bravura.

I have another question:
What is the difference between “Default Text” that one can find in “Engrave/Font Styles” and “Default Text Font” found in “Engrave/Paragraph Styles”?

MTF-Cadence-Text is a SMuFL notation font for use in text, like Bravura Text. It is not a text font as such.

I have found that changing the Music font from MTF-Cadence to Bravura changed the Default Text Paragraph Style, and consequently other text items like Staff labels – back to Academico, even when unchecking the “use font’s engraving options”.

I can see that one the one hand, changing Music font and having everything ‘match’ in one step is nice; but similarly, changing the music font and having other things change that you didn’t want to change is not so much. Perhaps in the future, there’ll be a “House Style” item that configures notation, layout engraving options, plus fonts, all in one go.

That’s correct: the relationship is not defined in the SMuFL metadata file, but rather in the code behind the Change Fonts dialog.

Paragraph styles are mostly used for Shift+X and Shift+Alt+X text, and text in frames; font styles are mostly used for actual notated items. So for example, tempo items generally use font styles, and so inherit from the ‘Default text font’ font style, while staff labels use paragraph styles, and so inherit from the ‘Default text’ paragraph style. Over time the plan is to migrate the text-like notations that currently use font styles to use paragraph styles, so that in general font styles are only used for non-text notations, e.g. musical symbols and so on.

Thank you for your explanations.

Ok. I can wait for this, too…