Consolidate session - Delete unused files

Hello everyone!

I was wondering if there is a function, like in ProTools, that allows you to clear from the Data list, all the tracks that are no longer in use.

For example, I make several captures from my analog chain, and it takes me 3 or 4 versions before I am 100% sure with the print. In the meanwhile, I end up deleting from the montage window those unused tracks, but I am afraid they are still being kept in the Data folder.

Is there a way to “Consolidate” the session only with the tracks used in the montage? Is there an option like Save Session As (and only keep the relevant files for that session?)

If not, how are you dealing with accumulating space on your drives? Other than buy a new drive ! :sweat_smile:

Very simple: I only capture to temporary file and not named file. When deleting the recordings that were not used I only get a confirmation dialog: ‘Are you sure?’ Yes - done.

BTW, the function you mention does exist in Cubase, but there, a single project by definition has only files relevant to that project. The structure of WL is different: more based on working on existing files and therefor sometimes also unrelated files. Making it hard, if not impossible, for WL to decide which file(s) to delete.

This is not exactly what you ask for, but there is a function with a similar effect:

1 Like

Sorry to dig up this very old thread, but I was wondering if you could tell me how to capture only to temporary files and not to a named based file? Is there any box I need to tick in order to do that? @Arjan_P

This is possible if you record from the audio editor, but not from the montage editor.
The two recording systems are different. Check the manual.