Continuo: one staff in full score, many parts?

Dear Experts,

I know I’ve asked a similar question before, but please, indulge me: I’m still learning the software and in this case I want to be 100% sure I’m using it in the most efficient way. (The existing threads about this issue seem to be old and not to contain the answer to one of my problems.)

In the kind of music I’m working on the conductor’s score typically has ‘Basso continuo’ as the bottom staff. It defines the music that’s played by more than one instrument: typically, at least the organ, the cello, and the violone. Usually, the organ plays all the time the BC plays at all, so the staff is basically the music for the organ, with additional instructions when the other instruments should start and stop playing:

2021-07-31 (2)

I’m at the point where I have the conductor’s score ready. However, I’d like to create 3 parts based on the bottom staff of the conductor’s score (whose layout is currently called ‘Full score’). The only way I seem to be able to do this, say, for the Violone, is to add a ‘Violone’ player in the Setup, and copy the relevant subset of the BC staff to the Violone staff. Then the Violone part pops into existence as a separate layout, great. However, ‘Full score’ is now not the conductor’s score. I can of course create another layout, call it ‘conductor’s score’, and deselect all the additional players, but then to edit the continuo music across the various instruments I have to switch to the ‘Full score’ layout. Is this the best approach according to the Dorico design philosophy? (I.e.: add players so the appropriate part layouts are generated, but then create a ‘conductor’s score’ layout that’s different from the actual ‘full score’ layout.)

I wanted to avoid increasing the number of many-part layouts, not to stress my machine. I could of course keep the ‘full score’ and deselect all the additional continuo instruments everytime I export the conductor’s score. Hm, if I was a reasonable person :slight_smile: , I’d only do this once, at the very end of the project. Is that how you guys would proceed? [Edit: I will use the Engrave mode on the conductor’s score, of course…]

You can have as many full-score layouts as you want. If you want to minimize strain on your computer, close the project and re-open, and view only the layout you want to work on. If you don’t “view” a layout during a session, Dorico doesn’t use computer resources to make calculations about it.

1 Like

Thank you very much! I had no idea about this. The many-full-score-layouts solution seems clearly a good one, then. (Apart from sometimes having to fix what is really a single mistake in more than a single staff. But this I can live with; it’s the single thing Lilypond does better :-)) Thanks again!

You can of course use Manual Staff Visibility to hide additional players in the Full Score. I regularly produce baroque scores, and I will have a Violoncello staff hidden (but playing back!), as well as the continuo realisation.

Of course, you have to add one System Break to hide the staff at the start of each flow, but that’s ok.

You can also have a Full Score that excludes additional continuo players, once you’ve entered all the notes.

2 Likes

Thank you very much. I didn’t know about this option, seems really useful!