Contour ShuttleXpress with Nuendo 10

Hello all.
I have been using my Contour ShuttleXpress with Nuendo on PC for many years now (I think from Nuendo 5 or 6…) without problem.
Today I find myself working on a Mac and the shuttle feature is acting up.
First I had to reprogram it entirely as the default shortcuts were not the correct ones: it was doing a nudge repeated several times according to the desired speed but did not work well at all (command+num+ for shuttle play and command +num- for shuttle reverse, repeated from once every second to 30/sec if I recall).
Now I reprogrammed it according to the shortcuts for shuttle play and reverse in the Nuendo key command menu.
It seems to be correctly programmed as the test in the keycommand menu test is reading fine for all 14 positions, but once in the project timeline it skips one position out of 2, both ways, and pause in between.
So I can only be able to shuttle play at 1/8 then it pauses then 1/2 then pause then x2 then pause then x8 and same in reverse…
I tried all setting in the shuttle express settings soft and only “hold key” is actually giving me something decent, which makes sense, but with the issues I described.
Anyone experienced this new issue?

oh and it was working fine up to Nuendo 8 (on PC)

Sounds like it needs cleaning…

Nope, that is not the problem.
As I wrote it, it is responding well, as it should, in the Contour setup software and in the keycommand window of Nuendo. (It also works fine in other soft like DaVinci Resolve).
There is definitely a software problem to solve, either in the « new » Nuendo, something in the setup I did not see, or in the Shuttlexpress setup for Nuendo 10, or something specific to Mac.
Is anyone here using it with Nuendo 10 or 11?

1 Like

I have used Contour Shuttle with N10 with no problems on Mac.
But yes, it was a bit trickier to set shuttle to work properly.

Peter do you remember what is/was your settings?
I have tried pretty much everything though on the contour setup app…

Sorry, it’s been a long time since I have been using it (Shuttle Pro, not Express, on Mac OS Sierra). I remember there were some problems initially with defining transition steps of shuttle wheel in both directions, but it was not Nuendo fault I think.

Hi. I am back on my PC (win 8.1pro) now and installed Nuendo 10.3.1 and I have the same exact issue as on MacOs…

I’m using Nuendo 12 and recently bought Shuttlexpress. It does not detect my N12. Any tips or workaround for this to work?

@Psalmer You need to make a new entry in Shuttle control Panel for N12 because it only comes with one for Nuendo. Either that or just re-locate the N12 exe and assign over the old one.

@Fred4tutti Regarding the skipping it might be because you go over the lower speed positions twice as it returns to the centre. Try the Smart Release feature.
Really though I’m still to be satisfied with shuttle myself. I rarely need it to scrub while moving. And even if its a shuttle without playing/scrubbing it moves the cursor. Most of the time I just need a smooth scroll of the window while the cursor isn’t moved or is playing normally. And not the clunky bar incremented scroll we have now.
It works really well in Reaper. A nice smooth speed controllable scroll by the pixel if you want it. Alas.