Control Surface for Nuendo

Hi guys,

I’ve been looking at adding a control surface to my setup to speed up my workflow. Unfortunately, it doesn’t look like Steinberg/Yamaha have any plans to release a DAW specific budget control surface. I recently setup MetaGrid on an iPad for shortcuts & macros and I’m quite happy with it. I wish it supported faders and knobs as well.

I used to own an Avid Artist Mix and ended up selling it since I really didn’t feel the need for it while handling music mixing and mastering jobs. Currently, I’ve started doing a lot of post-production jobs and really feel like I could use faders for automation. I’ve been looking at the Steinberg CC121 and the Avid S1.

The CC121 is almost 11 years old and while some of it’s features look great, I’m not too happy with the price for such an old product. Secondly, I wish the EQ section was just a bunch of freely assignable knobs. I guess Quick Control does the trick. I’ve also read reports about the fader being jittery. An updated CC121 with a few extra features would be amazing.

With the Avid S1, which costs a lot more, I’m not too sure on how good the Eucon integration with Nuendo is. Does it follow the selection in the MixConsole? If the Control app works as well as it does with Protools, with meters and stuff, it’ll be great. I’ve downloaded the Control app and will test it with Nuendo shortly.

Does anyone have any other recommendations or comments on the Eucon integration?

I’m not too sure on how good the Eucon integration with Nuendo is.

Back in the days that EuCon was written by Euphonix, Nuendo was the application for which it was tailor made. And; the Euphonix MC Pro Buy Pro Tools | Immersive Audio | Dolby Atmos Studio Design is a 100% match. I can say that from my own experience.
If you’re on the search for a serious controller, I think the MC Pro is the best you can get, but: it’s old, so you won’t be able to use it without issues. :confused:

Does anyone have any other recommendations or comments on the Eucon integration?

Just ask me/us your questions and I’ll be happy to answer them.

Niek/ Amsterdam.

If you are on a tight budget go touch screen. Im my home studio I use Dtouch with 27” touch screen. (You can have multible screens, I have one touch screen and one normal for video, metering etc)

With Dtouch you can assign as many user assignable buttons as you need, you have multitouch faders (are very responsive and accurate) and a lot more cool stuff (like overlayed panner for video) to make your workflow fast and easy.

There is another thread here regarding Dtouch.

But if you really need real buttons etc, then it is a no go for you atm. But they are developing a real 24 fader bank with few assignable buttons per channel. Don’t know when it will be out but they are trying to make it reasonable priced…

Hello
The YAMAHA NUAGE for post production is the best tool with Nuendo, but I know it’s expensive. I bought mine used. But It’s really a sensational tool with Nuendo.
Otherwise an S1 or an artist control + mix works well, and the EUCON protocol is very well recognized by Nuendo. On the other hand it is difficult to make quickly EQ or send manipulations for example.
Finally, there was the SmartAv Tango that I know with Pyramix and it was very good stuff, but it is no longer produced (ask Fenderchris for more details)

May be you could test an iPad with Steinberg Cubase iC Pro. It is supposed for Cubase, but should work with Nuendo too. Perhaps you have to install the Steinberg SKI Remote Extension on your DAW. Then makros should be no Problem. But I did not test it.

Steinberg Cubase iC Pro works well with Nuendo, but PT control from AVID (free app for iPad) works perfectly as well !

Do you mean Devil Technologies are developing a hardware controller for Cubase/Nuendo?

Last I heard they had scrapped those plans, so if they are it’s news to me.

Back a few years ago they asked about that on Gearslutz trying to figure out what users wanted. They had a prototype I believe and on their website there was a product page for an upcoming “Grande” controller. That page no longer works (and I’m generally skeptic of companies whose webpages don’t work in 2019).

So I’d be surprised if they develop something.

Yes, to work with Dtouch. 24 faders should align perfectly with 27” touch screen monitor.
This is what they have told…

When was this?

In the last two years

Where did here this and are there any links to this info that you’re aware of?

On their forum. There is a private section there. So can’t link if you are not a ”member”…

Well, they’ve had that large controller prototype for a while so I’d imagine they either gave up on it or it is difficult or they’re just not making it much a priority… Development is probably expensive too.

I guess that console never had its glory days.
But this new system is based on already fully functional daw controller via touch screen that has 24 fader bank window. The new controller is due to be able to replace that if user wants real faders and some real buttons.

It will be very interresting… If reasonably priced…

Don’t get me wrong, I’d be happy if there was more on the market. 24 faders with pots and metering/labels would be great to have if price and quality is good.

But the video was posted a decade ago and that post two years ago so I’m not holding my breath…

This new (not grande) unit is still alive. Last I know they have an almost fully working beta on their hands. This is from august I believe.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

Dtouch looks amazing, but unfortunately it’s only for Windows. I guess touch screens and macOS aren’t there yet.

Nuage is currently a bit out of my price range. A smaller budget friendly version would be amazing. I also want to be sure, I can integrate it’s features into my workflow. I’ve rarely gotten along with boards with faders, even though I’ve been mixing professionally for over a decade.

I’m leaning towards the Avid S1. S3 I feel is a bit overpriced and I don’t really need the interface features. I’m quite happy with Metagrid + iPad for shortcuts/macros for now.

Cubase iC Pro hasn’t been updated in 2 years. Steinberg seems to have no interest in controllers. :frowning:

NOT accurate! PT Control has a bunch of bugs regarding Cubase/Nuendo, the most abhorrent being that selecting the tracks page will make Nuendo and EUCON crash! They are aware of this problem at Avid, as there have been many, many complaints about this. Avid points the finger at Steinberg. Steinberg points the finger at Avid and nothing is being done about it!

VCA Spill Newbie Question - Avid Pro Audio Community (There are screen shots of the crash on this thread)

These problems, apparently go all the way up to S6! I’ve seen posts where S6 owners are saying that EUCON doesn’t work as well with Nuendo anymore, as well as Logic or DP. Avid has basically made EUCON PT specific! If you want ALL OF THE FEATURES TO WORK, YOU’LL HAVE TO WORK IN PRO TOOLS. So, be very careful about purchasing an S-1 or Artist Series. 95% of the basic features work with non PT DAWs. But lots of features that used to work don’t any more as well as the complete omission of newer features. Ver. 18.3 was the last stable version of EUCON with Nuendo. Ver. 19.5 is a total nightmare and full of problems with PT users as well.

If you can come up with another option, look there first!!!