Control surface for Nuendo

Well, I’m really not impressed with my Avid Artist Mix. Here’s my list of complaints and I’ve only used it for a couple of hours:

1. Rotary encoders are totally not responsive. Either they don’t change the parameter at all when you turn slow, or if you speed up, they just go off to the races. No subtlety at all. Better with the mouse.

2. Faders sometimes glitch and don’t change the volume.

3. When I go into config mode to get a plugin or aux send, the process is buggy. The way the plugins get placed in my channel is wonky - the plugin never goes in the first slot in the signal chain - it goes into like the 4th or 5th slot. Better to add plugs manually with the mouse.

4. I can’t turn the device off without having to restart my computer to get it back up again. Must be something with the IP address. A workable solution seems like it should be fairly easy to implement here. Not sure why basic network protocols can’t be worked out. I mean, if Logitech can do it, Avid should be able to…

5. It seems to get confused when you shift from 1-8 to the next bank of faders. When I go back to 1-8 after working on another part of the mix, I end up having to go four more nudges to the left to fill the full 1-8 because it’s showing me 1-4 on faders 4-8.

6. It cuts off names of tracks even when there is still room in the field to add more letters. This is not terrible, because the track numbers are there, but still is a little confusing if you two or three tracks beginning with the same name.

I like the faders.

What else is there in the 1-2K range that gets you control over VST effects, and has reliable motorized faders?

I was about to reply to this but noticed you’re on Nuendo 4. There have been quite a lot of updates on the EuCon side of things since Nuendo 4.

I’m not seeing the issues you mention on Nuendo 5.5 with the latest EuControl + firmware on the units (2x MC Mix + 1x MC Control here).

I wrote a longer reply, but I think you should look at the newer version of Nuendo perhaps. It just may be that the issues exist because you’re running it with an older version of Nuendo.

Earlier you said, specifically, that you needed control over “to control faders, pans, mute, solo.” Now you’re talking about not only instantiating but controlling VST effects. Completely different ballgame in my opinion.

In the 1-2k range I don’t see anything else…

You may want to consider adding a touch monitor for vsti and plugin guis. It really speeds up work flow. Currently I have a 15" and am replacing it with a 26" this week after I create and test the gui for an on-screen key command executer.

My current touch screen sen on the right here:

Earlier you said, specifically, that you needed control over “to control faders, pans, mute, solo.” Now you’re talking about not only instantiating but controlling VST effects. Completely different ballgame in my opinion.

Yes - it’s true. However, I got all excited when it looked like I might actually be able to do even more work without going to the mouse. :slight_smile:

I will give N5 a try, I actually already ordered the upgrade. Part of my trouble with upgrading is that I have been so dang stable for so long it’s crazy. I never crash or lose projects (knock wood) and people who record at my studio are always amazed when they leave and Nuendo has been open all day long without so much as a hiccup…

But I have a new hard drive and I’m slowly building out my Win7 DAW, so I’m getting closer.

I have been using the Avid Artist Mix more today and finding the basics to be pretty solid. Not sure what was going on with the faders earlier, but things seem pretty good now. I’m swaying back toward keeping it.

Excitement happens! :slight_smile:

Yeah… I think the biggest problem is with finding an alternative in your price range. The Tango seems nice, but it’s pricey.

Perhaps you could consider getting the Avid Artist Control to go with the Mix? That touch screen and different arrangement of buttons (plus 4 extra faders) might do the trick…

Or do as Woodcrest did, get a touch screen monitor…

Or a cheap Behringer BCR 2000…

A couple of questions:

What monitor do you have and how much was it?

Are you switching to get just a larger screen or for quality reasons?

What monitor are you getting and how much is that one…?

“guy for an on-screen key command executer”…?

Answers to your questions:

I currently have a NEX 1560v that has a usb 3m Microtouch resistive touch sensor in it. I got it off ebay really cheap. Resolution is not large enough… need more room for plugin guis.

I am switching for a larger and higher quality screen so I can spread out a little more.

I am getting a Elo Touch 2639L. They go for about $1,000 USD

GUI not guy :mrgreen:… Let me explain. I can create an on-screen GUI with buttons so, when I press the button on the touch screen with my finger or stylus, it will execute key commands I have associated with the button. Think of it like a program icon. You click the program icon on the desktop and the program launches. Instead of launching programs, it will send key commands to Nuendo.

Right now, most of my plugin guis pop up on the touchscreen monitor. I want my channel view, automation and/or marker panel open simultaneously which I can’t now due to space. Hopefully by the end of the week, or next week, I will have the GUI and key commands together and working. This will be the toughest part other than figuring out a way how to platter a 26" monitor to match the old platter angle of the 15".

Thanks for the replies. Please report back when you’ve upgraded…

“guy”… lol… tired… call Dr Freud…

N5 is far better with the Artist series than N4.

Also be sure to update to the latest firmware on the Artist.
You do this from the Eucon software. Select the Artist at the rightmost column, then choose update firmware from the button below.

The latest firmware removed all the fader and encoder issues here.

Pål

…also, there is issues with some network switches.
Which network switch have you connected it to? (brand and model number).

Pål

Except now SB has decided to ‘lock out’ the controller whenever a dialogue box is open :frowning:
Now I can’t even switch monitors or control my monitor volume from the MC Control when doing a real time mixdown…laaaaaaaaaame