controlroom, setting up..

Hi, is there a SIMPLE way to explain how to set up the cue,s monitoring how to implement it in real life. the manual is so hard to understand so I am freaking out… what is EXT? what does it mean? is it from my external gear or TO ??

Driving me crazy…

Help please, Micke.

Hi,

I will try to do this.

Imagine, you have recording room D (with drummer), and recording room V (with vocalist). You want to make a different listen (Cue) mix for the drummer, and another one for the vocalist. And of course, you don’t want to touch your mix, which you are listening in your Control Room.

Imagine, your Audio Devices Output 1-2 is connected to your Speaker Monitor in the Control Room.
Audio Devices Output 3-4 is connected to the headphones preamp to the recording room D.
Audio Devices Output 5-6 is connected to the headphones preamp to the recording room V.

Open VST Connections > Studio.
Add Channel Monitor 1, and set the Device port to Output 1-2. This is your Control Room output.
Add Channel Cue 1, and set the Device port to Output 3-4. This is Drummer output.
Add Channel Cue 2, and set the Device port to Output 5-6. This is Vocalist output.

Your Connection is ready.

Add an Audio track (lets say Bass Drum), and open MixConsole. Click to Racks, and Show Cue Sends. Open the Cues panel, and enable Cue 1 and Cue 2 of the Audio track.

• Set the level of Cue 1. This level is the volume of that Audio track, which will be sent to the Cue 1 = Drummer.
  • Set the level of Cue 2. This level is the volume of that Audio track, which will be sent to the Cue 2 = Vocalist.
    Logically, you will send much higher level to the Cue 1 (drummer), then to the Cue 2 (Vocalist).

Add another Audio track (lets say Vocal).

• Set the level of Cue 1. This level is the volume of that Audio track (Vocal), which will be sent to the Cue 1 = Drummer.
  • Set the level of Cue 2. This level is the volume of that Audio track (Vocal), which will be sent to the Cue 2 = Vocalist.
    Logically, you will send much lower level to the Cue 1 (drummer), then to the Cue 2 (Vocalist).

For every single Cue and track, you can set, if the Cue Volume is Pre- or Post-Fader. So if the fader position (volume of the signal to the Control Room) also affect the volume of the signal to the recording room (post-fader) or not (pre-fader). The same way, you could also set the panorama of every single track, to the Cues.

Open Control Room Mixer. Open Cue 1 and Cue 2 panel. Here, you can enable click to Cue 1 only. So the drummer will hear the Cubase click (metronome sound), but not the Vocalist.

I hope, I made it clear (at least a little). :slight_smile:

Thats just wonderfully done. Thanks Martin.

Oswald

I found it confusing too. But if you just set it up and play with it, it will click eventually.

Martin, Thank you very very much! You really did explain it so I can understand now.

Best whiches , Micke