Convert Velocity values to Automation track

Is it possible to convert the velocity values for the notes of a MIDI track into a Volume automation track?
Regards, Richard.

Hi,

MIDI > Logical Presets > Experimental > insert midi volume for velocity. This will create MIDI CC7 controller line.

Then you can use MIDI > Function > Extract MIDI Automation.

You will not get a Volume automation, you will get MIDI CC7 Automation line.

You can make a Macro out of it.

Hi Richard.

Everything you need to know is explained here: How to Use the New Cubase Pro 9.5 Automation with MIDI CC | Cubase Q&A with Greg Ondo - YouTube

Kind regards

James Colah

Thanks for these answers.
However, as my “MIDI > Logical Presets” menu option is greyed out, I can’t get much further.
What makes it active?

Hi,

The Logical Preset menu item is available only if you have a MIDI Event selected or any MIDI Editor opened, or some MIDI data in any MIDI Editor opened.

I have the Key Editor open.
Does it make a difference if the MIDI notes were inserted by hand (which is true in my case), rather than recorded from some device?

Hi,

No, there is no difference, if the MIDI notes were inserted by drawing or recorded.

I assume these are the preset files:

Directory C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 10\Presets\Logical Edit\experimental

add volume 0 to end of note.xml
delete black keys.xml
downbeat accent (4-4).xml
extract volume and pan.xml
filter off beats.xml
insert midi volume for velocity.xml

However, MIDI → Logical Presets is still greyed out.

Hi,

OK, now I understand. It seems, you have no presets installed. Please try to trigger the Full Installer once again. Already installed parts will not be overwritten, but the preset should be added.

I have done a full installation of Cubase 10.0.15, and it has made no difference.
(I was warned that the eLicenser Control software cannot be installed because my version of the operating system is too old - it’s Windows 7 - and the minimum requirement is Windows 7 !).

If the presets are not installed, what are those files in C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 10\Presets\Logical Edit\experimental ?
Aren’t those the presets?

Hi,

Yes, these should be the presets.

If these are the presets and their location on disk looks correct, why is the “MIDI > Logical Presets” menu option still greyed out?

In case it was something to do with my particular project, I created a new empty project, inserted a MIDI track, opened the Key Editor, and it is still greyed out. Is this not what other’s find?

Hi,

Could you try in Cubase Safe Start Mode, please?

Tried safe start mode but no difference.

After consulting the message thread titled “Factory logical edit presets not showing” (thanks Pitchline), I copied the
“C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 10\Presets\Logical Edit” folder into the
“C:\Users*user*\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase 10_64\Presets” folder.
And the “Logical Presets” menu option is now ungrayed - so that’s good.

Should I copy all the other subfolders in the “C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 10\Presets” folder to the “…\Cubase 10_64\Presets” folder?

I’m afraid of missing out on something.

And what about all the other subfolders in “C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 10” ? Should they also be copied to the “…\Cubase 10_64” folder?

Can I delete the folders once copied to their new location?

Couldn’t Steinberg release a script to correct the installation?

Regards, Richard.

Hi,

Yes, do so.

I would do so. Obviously it wasn’t installed completely and these are missing data.

Myself, I would keep it as a backup.