Converting old audio cassette tapes

Dear all,

I need to convert old audio cassette tapes and vinyl to audio CDs
To do that which program I need?

Wavelab Pro or Wavelab Elements?

Also I need to be able to write 90min audio disc (800MB)

Anyone knows if Wavelab Pro or Elements supports overburn?

Thanks in advanced!

Recording analog sources is no problem for either version of WL - and both can create Audio CDs. But, WL Elements is limited in the creation of Audio CDs, where WL Pro has all facilities to edit track markers, CD Text etc. Also, WL Pro includes a number of tools that can be used to clean up audio (especially from vinyl or tape).

I’m not sure about WL Elements, but WL Pro certainly supports overburn. But 90 minutes is a very extreme length for an Audio CD, even if you manage to burn one I would expect lots of problems in the playing department. I wouldn’t do it for a client (if I ever run into one that wants a burnt CD, that is) and have always been reluctant to even go over 74 minutes.

90 mins is too much. As Arjan says you can expect to have problems with that.

74 minutes was the original max length. Then it went to 80 minutes but not all discs, CD burners, and players support up to 80 minutes. In fact, if you do a CD duplication or replication order and there is over 74 minutes of material, most places make you sign a wavier saying they are not responsible for problems.

If it’s for personal use, I still think you’ll have a problem doing any burning beyond 80 minutes. I don’t think WaveLab (or any app) will even allow it.

To answer your first question, just get WaveLab Pro and you will have all the features you need. I would find WaveLab Elements too restrictive for most work.

Note that a C90 cassette only has 45 minutes on each side. Make 2 CDs.

I notice this is the OP’s first post, so perhaps WaveLab is way over the top for the task, with a high learning curve. Perhaps something like this would be more suitable for someone starting off?

You can do all of that from WL 9 Elements, if I’m not mistaken.

Sorry but you are mistaken. WL Elements does not use CD track markers - it defines CD tracks by the limits of individual clips in the montage. The Sonnox cleanup tools are indeed in both versions, but WL E has ‘limited’ audio restoration. See here: WaveLab: Audio Mastering Software | Steinberg

Thanks very much all of you for your help!! :slight_smile:

How can I buy WaveLab Pro 9.0?
I went to the “Buy Now” link but it only gives me the options to updates from previous versions of WaveLab Pro.

I’ve never had WaveLab before!

I am a new buyer.

It’s the first option on this page:
https://www.steinberg.net/en/shop/buy_product/product/wavelab-pro-9.html

See the attached screen shot.

Depends where you are located.

In some countries full versions are sold boxed only.
When I click on that link, first option is upgrade from 8.5 with no option to buy full version.

But you could buy the Elements version and upgrade to Pro afterwards. If you really want to buy it online.

I beieve a full version is always a boxed one, as you can see in Justin’s screenshot. If you do go the way of buying the download version of WL Elements and then the upgrade to Pro - don’t forget you will need a USB license key for the Pro version!

I just recently did a project in WL 9 Elements where I imported a 40-minute live recording, created markers in the editor, imported the file into a Montage, used the Split tool to define each song, then used CD-Text to list the band name and each song. I rendered this to a CD and got 9 separate tracks. This was from one clip. I’m pretty sure that this is the same thing that the OP would like to do. I also did the same thing with a vinyl 2-record set.

That being said, I will eventually spring for the Pro version. If Elements is this powerful, I can only imagine what the Pro version can do.

That’s right - and I’m not saying WL Elements is inferior, it simply works in a more rudimental way. What you do for that CD can be done quicker, using dedicated CD markers and with more possibilities, directly in the montage without splitting anything.

You can buy CD-R blanks for up to 100 minutes, but going over 90 minutes will defeat the firmware in some old players. That said, I have regularly used 90-minute blanks for disks near 90 minutes, and have never encountered any difficulty in playing them. You may not find anywhere to press them, though (although I’ve recently seen an 84-minute commercial CD).

That’s true, but if I understand the OP correctly, he has some cassette tapes he wants to transfer to CD. Elements will do this just fine.