Converting Video's Audio Sampling Rate in Cubase 6 (?)

Hi there,
I am a long time user of Cubase, and after far too long have upgraded from SX3 to 6 (64 bit) full (PC version).
I really wanted to try my hand at scoring independent movies and the video capabilities of both my old computer and SX3 were just not very workable.

So far, I’m very impressed with how well Cubase 6 handles the files sent to me from an editor using Final Cut Pro and encoding with modern, high-quality codecs.

I’ve run into one problem - I’d like to work at 24-96kHz, but the video file I’m importing has an audio track at 24-48kHz. When I import, video plays at half speed (obviously).

My question is, can I convert the video in cubase? I just want a video track to work with.
Generally when I bring an audio file of a different bit depth or sampling rate, it asks me if I want to convert, etc, but all of those options are greyed out for the video.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Hello,

Just about every video that you’ll get sent will have the audio file with a sample rate of 48K. This is normal and converting the video is not possible, nor is it necessary. Here are your options for composing music to a video in Cubase:

1. Stay in 48K and no sample rate conversion will be needed. When you’re done composing and export the video with the new soundtrack, the recipient will be able to play it back without any problems.

2. Load the video file into Cubase. You’ll have the video on a video track and the audio on an audio track. Bounce the audio file to 96k, re-import it to a track and then set the sample rate for the project to 96K.

Keep in mind that working at 96K will make your computer work harder and put more of a strain on your processor. In addition, there are many sounds that don’t really benefit from working at 96K (Electric guitars, techno-oriented virtual instruments, etc). But if you’re recording symphonic instruments (violins, cellos, acoustic piano, etc) or using high quality audio plug-ins, it can make a difference.

Good luck!

Thank you Robert, I will try option #2.
I am not able to try this out right now, but I imagine while the separate audio track will shrink down to size, the imported video will still be double the original length. I wonder if I can resize it using Timestretch or something?

Cheers,

Matt

There’s nothing to change about the video. It all has to do with changing the audio so that you can work in 96K.

Bouncing a 48K file to 96K will result in a larger audio file. Not a smaller one.

If I import the video which has a 48k audio track into a 96k project, the video and its audio are doubled in length (i.e. half speed).
If I import the video into a 48k project and change the sampling rate to 96k, the same thing happens (the video stretches out to double length…so 29.97fps/2).
I can convert the video’s audio to 96k, but the video track itself remains unchanged.
This is what I mean when I say “shrink” the video. It exists in my project as a slow-motion video, twice as long as the converted audio.

Anyway, I’ve had to start working because I have a deadline so I’ve stayed in 48k.

Thank you for your help!