Copy/Export Master Page from one project to another?

Hello,

I have a layout I created with master pages in one project, and I want to use that layout in a new project, but I can’t find how to copy everything to the new page.

I’m not sure if I’m using the right terms to search in the forum or the manuals, but I can’t seem to find an answer.

Thanks for any information.

At the moment, there’s no way to save or import templates. The master pages and settings in one project cannot be exported to another.

The universal solution at the moment is to save a new copy of that project, strip everything down to a blank canvas, and use that as your template file.

You can also import and export flows to and from existing projects.

Thanks again, Dan, for replying with this information

That would be very useful. I want to keep exactly the same format for the cover pages of my pieces (fonts, title placement etc). Probably It will be included soon!

These days, (Dorico 3 & 4), there is a process for exporting page template sets.

You can get the job done this way, but it seems overly tedious. The system is quite flexible for cases where you want to add page templates to an existing projects. But there is a very common requirement to bring templates into a bunch of projects in order to standard a house style. You can certainly export the house style to a file, and then import that into any Dorico projects, one project at a time. However, that just places another set (e.g. "Default Parts (Imported)") into the list of available sets.

I have not found a good way to apply this house style to all the layouts in one step. As far as I can tell, it is necessary to go through every layout and select the house style, one at a time.

======

Update: Once you have imported the “house style” page sets, you can do:

• Ctrl/Cmd-Shift-L.
  • In the Layouts list, select all the layouts that need the new house style
  • In the Page Template section, select the page template set you want from the Page template set menu.

That will change all your layouts at once. Then back in Engrave mode on any affected layout, you can delete the old page set (the obsolete house style), and rename the new one if so desired.

Or as Lillie points out below, you can go at it for the opposite direction cloning your house style template and then importing flows into that template.

@cparmerlee Is this available in Dorico 3.5? I don’t see the page template sets option in 3.5.

In 3.5 they were still called “master page sets”. For exporting, see here.

It would be really nice to have the option , when importing a page set, to replace the existing set having the same name. I;d guess that in 99% of the cases when one imports a set that is already present in the current project, the intention is to replace a “house style” altogether. It seems like an unnecessary step to have to go back into every layout that uses that set and select the newly imported one.

I can’t even think of a use case where I would NOT want to do that. But if there was such a case, it could easily be handled with a popup that says “Import page set is already in the project. Replace or Rename” or something like that.

Another option of course is to make a copy of an existing project with the page templates/master pages set up how you want and import music into the project via flow import. If you haven’t yet fiddled about with staves vertically and you’ve propagated any local properties (to set them globally), it should be carried in as expected but of course observing the project defaults in the home project.

You can also change which page template/master page set is applied to multiple layouts at once in Layout Options.

1 Like

That’s brilliant. That saves a lot of tedium. I had been doing that through the Export view for each layout separately.

1 Like