Corno in E

Title says it all. Is it possible to have instruments with transpositions other than those in the instrument list?

If it is, how to achieve it?

Thanks,
LAE

IN this thread no key signature instruments (missing?) - #2 by dspreadbury - Dorico - Steinberg Forums Daniel said:

“In due course we do intend to make it possible for you to edit our existing instrument definitions, and to define your own, which will allow you to do whatever you want, but I am trying to establish whether this is something we should hop to immediately and support with predefined instruments more quickly because it’s much more common than I’m aware of.”

French horns in E (also A flat, and Bb and C basso and alto!) are missing from the predefined instruments in the current version - which is a pain, but maybe not the most important missing feature in the global scheme of things. (Piano pedalling, 1st/2nd time repeat endings, chord symbols, etc, etc …)

Thanks, I did not find that thread.

Well, in the world of baroque and classical music a full set of transpositions is as important as chords. Figured bass as well. In due time I guess it will all be there.

I have added a bunch more horn transpositions, including horn in E, and they will be available in the next minor update.

Thanks, that sounds great!

Do you have any plans on making transpositions in general user editable?

I am asking because I sometimes write for groups with a mixture of tunings in the same score, like chorton and kammerton - 460 and 415, or kammerton and modern - 415 and 440. Usually I can solve it by using and renaming some instrument in D for the first case, in the second case I have to resort to having two different scores as there is no transposition in B natural available, which would be necessary for a flute in 440 playing with strings in 415.

On the historical note I once even found a cantata by Bach featuring three transpositions: a=392, a=415 and a=460.

Obviously I realise that this is not the most urgent feature request… :wink:

or rather a = 415 Hz / 440 Hz / 465 Hz
Sometimes „Chorton“ refers to a = 466 Hz
These are all „modern“ pitches though, made up in the last century, so they would fit next to modern a = 440 Hz.

True, thanks for specifying that. I admit I was being a bit unexact.
(For full disclosure I must add also then that the Bach cantata I was referring to could of course be played with other tunings as well, depending on what organ was used…)

And the time of year …

Indeed… :astonished: