CPU Overload / Dropout detected with CPU at circa 5%

Ha, even that “fix” was only good for one session. I just started Cubase again and it’s crashed again.
SSDD. What a load of tosh.

I did the following a few minutes ago, and I have just been able to open my project again:

• updated to 12.0.60 (I think I was previously on 12.0.40; a verson from around Nov last year)
  • disabled the Philips and Realtek audio devices here:

If i was you , i would really think about removing your Gpu drivers in safe mode and reinstall , if you have Nvidia HD audio installed then you have more than just the Nvidia graphics driver installed which could be your issue . With the DDU it allows you to remove ALL old Gpu drivers that may be causing a conflict and then you can freshly install just the graphics driver via the custom install settings
How to Totally Uninstall Nvidia, AMD or Intel Graphics Drivers | Tom’s Hardware (tomshardware.com)

Hello, I appreciate that producing audio on a computer with Cubase or the like, is special and (can be) very demanding of the computer. But still. Before buying Cubase there is no warning what can go wrong. Only system requirements are given. And then… when you use it and experience strange problems like e.g. here: CPU overload at 5% of use of the processor, etc., Steinberg appears not to be able to help. Even sends you to this forum… Then it is apparently not their problem…?! Yeah, they are watching al this here constantly, but offer no solutions. And then, reading all about this here and the rest of internet, seeing all the well meant advices, trying them, but it still goes wrong, what is the bottom line? You have to be a computer/software wizzard to us this software without problems. But hey, that is not what I bought it for. I want to compose, produce music. Just like what Steinberg promotes it for. But it is not what they deliver. This is not the first time I have to come to this conclusion, unfortunatly. Steinberg, please wake up. Problems like these should not be possible. And if they occur, then You did something wrong. It is 2023. We, humans, go to the moon, the sun and far beyond, etc., etc. Let’s hope AI can also become helpfull with these kind of things. In the mean time, please be more active satisfying your clients, Steinberg.

Have you opened a ticket ?

Well , it is computer music so a good understanding of computers really should be a must

Why doesn’t Steinberg deliver ? This goes back to the previous quote and if you have an understanding of Computer music then you will know Steinberg certainly delivers

I know more about computers and software than you.

I’m not sure how old you are, but some background is in order since you seem to see this the wrong way in my opinion.

Back when we had a 24-track tape deck and a 24-x mixer those were the de facto physical limits. you had 24 tracks, period. The good thing about it was that you were guaranteed those 24 tracks and those channels on the mixer - with whatever hardware was on those channels.

Early DSP systems like Pro Tools included DSP chips that you put in your computer, and again you were limited to X tracks with Y plugins - but those were also guaranteed limits. You knew what you would get.

Then people eventually switched over to native processing because of the advantages. Some of those advantages were a) lower costs and b) as many tracks and as much processing as the computer could handleno guarantees

That is where we are. There are no guarantees on how many tracks or how much processing you can use on a modern native system, because it depends on everything from the CPU to memory size and speed to drive speed and more.

Steinberg isn’t doing anything wrong as far as their marketing goes as far as I recall seeing. What you can get out of your computer depends on what that computer is.

Does Steinberg have control over the CPU you bought? Or the RAM? SSD? No it doesn’t. But you somehow think they should be held responsible when your computer doesn’t work the way you want it to.

Just consider for a second all the options that the software faces:

CPU make - AMD or Intel. Two choices.
CPU make / model - for models, just look at the last two generations and count the numbers of CPUs…
CPU make / model, Motherboard make / model…
CPU make / model, Motherboard make / model, RAM make / model / size

How many combinations are we at already?.. Hard drive? SSD? USB audio interface or Thunderbolt… Wifi on or off?.. Ethernet Gb, 5Gb, 10Gb?..

Now how many combinations of hardware are possible?..

OS version? Cubase version? Other software running in the background?

You want Steinberg to somehow be responsible for software working on all of that? Even if you settle for a few “confirmed” setups that’s additional work for them that you will end up paying for one way or another.

1 Like

yet

So you don’t have problems then?

2 Likes

So what’s your problem ? because if i don’t know anything about computers and have no issues with Steinberg then …

2 Likes

So, Steinburgers áre on this forum. Only in disguise. :wink: But rest assured: Steinberg can defend itself, if they feel they need to. You don’t have to do their work for them.
I made my point. I trust they now what to do with it, if they will.
I leave it with this. Thank you for your time.

Impressive… :roll_eyes:

That was uncalled for. Please discuss ideas, not people.

1 Like

Condescending responses can often induce a battle of words’

That’s wishful thinking. A lot of people you will find are in the same place. Just want to compose music, but having to become experts in computers and software just to do that…compose music.

It’s a necessary evil…

Thanks FF. I have done this (because I raised a support ticket w/ Steinberg Support and they instructed me to do so). But unfortunately it has not solved any of my issues (overload, crashes, high CPU usage).

Disable All windows based Audio devices for Playback / Record in Windos Control Panel as well as any Phys X shading , 3D modeling appplications on your discreet video graphics card which can promote interference.