Cracking, distortion on UR28M

I had a similar experience and after much troubleshooting, determined that the resolution was to increase the ASIO buffer size. I had been set at 88.2 kHz with 256 buffer size, and basically I ran out of CPU. I switched the buffer size to 512, and haven’t had a problem since, and the latency is still brief enough (around 15 ms).

Recording at 88.2 kHz is pretty tough on your processor too. :wink:

Unless you have specific reasons to do otherwise, it’s always best to record at 44.1 or 48 kHz. Especially if your computer can’t take it.

Strange… I got so annoyed by the crackling noises in my Infrasonic Quartet card (sometimes yes, sometimes no…there are threads on forums on the www) that I started looking for something else.
Reading what has been written here eliminates the UR28M also, and the Native-Instruments Komplete Audioo 6 seems to have the same problems.Neither has them on all machines, but since I already have them, I’m very reluctant to spend money on risky hardware.
In my case it is not Cubase-related as I also have the crackles when watching a tutorial movie, on YouTube or playing whatever audio. Restarting the pcusually helps, but that’s no feasable workflow…

By the way: when a computer acts normal at startup but later on shows increasing problems, chances are that the problem is heating up, or in other words: accumulated dust.
I clean the inside of my computer every three months or so. I also do the cleaning for friends, family and neighbours, and, apart from tons of dust, I already found one spider, one wasp, several flys, fleas and mosquito’s, breadcrumbs, apple pits etc etc.
I you don’t like to do thecleaning yourself, you may ask someone you know , a tech or your shop.
I use an airbrush compressor and a lo,ng haired non-synthetic brush. If you want to do this yourself, be careful with static charges (at least wash ypour hands and if you have carpets, walk barefeet, etc. Don’t forget the coolers. These are the main items to clean.

But as said: in case of doubt, ask someone who is prepared to take the responsability.

Henius, there is nothing wrong with the UR28M. The problem was my computer’s capacity to handle those high sample rates. I finally found the right balance that didn’t overload my CPU and now everything is keen.

In light of the symptoms you describe - problems across applications, needing to restart computer to resolve - I would strongly suspect your CPU is getting over-tapped too. (I also strongly suspect that it has nothing to do with dust.)

You probably have a number of background programs and services running that are hogging up all your resources. Try this: download Piriform ccleaner (http://www.piriform.com), it’s free. Use it to clean up temporary files and your registry. Then use it’s Tools > Startup to review what all is starting in the background when you turn on your computer. You may have some stuff (bloatware from the likes of Hewlett-Packard, for example, or nefarious programs picked up from odd sites) that can be “Disabled.” Disabling will not remove it from your computer, so you can trial-and-error and see if you are able to get things sped up.

When you are running Cubase, you should right-click on the icons in the bottom-right corner System Tray and exit anything you are not currently using. If you have an older PC, you may even need to disable your wi-fi while you are Cubasing…

OK, that sounds good, and I’m very glad your problem is solved.

The problem with the Infrasonic Quartet is described as being caused by the driver, unfortunately I only found out when I had already bought it.
Hence my mistrust of the Steinberg device.

Yes, I do know and use CCleaner. It’s a very good helper application. More PC users should know abpout it and use it.

My PC is only connected to the Internet when something has to be authorised. Normally it is not. I run no virusscanner on it, nothing. I disabled all unnecessary services, disabled hyper-threading, set power mode to always maximum, and my pc is assembled for power use. I never playany games on it and apart from cubase and vsti I only run Photoshop on it. And a few small apps like CCleaner etc.
The problem only occurs randomly when starting up. When restarting it’s usually gone, but it can be that I have to restart say three timles before I get rid of it.
Random and from start-up indicates something being loaded like it should/should not, indicating some possible miscommunication between the host, Windows, and the audio card’s driver.

But when it works, the sound is far from bad ( I can’t compare with the Steinberg app or an RME for example) and it suits my modest needs. (two inputs and two outputs) . Both Midi keyboards are USB connected. And the computer’s GPU is more than strong enough.

So, despite the good sound I’ll have to replace it in due time and consider it a waste of money.

Choices now narrow down to either UR28M, an RME Babyface or the PCI RME 9632. (which is already nine years old)

Hi, I just received my UR824 this past Friday, I installed the latest drivers v1.0.4, and it is also making some horrible noises like digital distortion when I playback audio, the audio sounds horrible for like 10 or more seconds, it doesn´t matter the asio buffer size, it can be 256, 64, or even 2048 and it doesn´t matter, changing the asio buffer size doesn´t resolve anything, this happens like every 5 or 10 min, this can happen even with a single audio track in the DAW with no plugins, so the size of a project doesn´t seems to matter either, is just randmon noise and distortion at random times.

This never happened to me with my previous audio interface, I´m really disappointed, I really need to know if this is just a driver issue and it can be solved in future updates, or this means that I got a bad unit, and I need to send it back for repair?

I just can not believe that cheaper 99 dollar interfaces have a better performance than a 799 dollar unit :confused:

One other issue I´m having is that when I´m working with a heavily load project, suddenly a horrible loud distortion sound occurs, that almost damaged my ears and blow up my monitors, and the DAW freezes for a like 10 or 20 or more seconds, this also happens every few minutes.

Ok you can blame my heavlily load project and my computer, but this didn´t happened with my previous interface, the DAW just freezes, but no sudden horrible loud distortion ever happened, it´s not possible that in order for me to find out that I´m overloading a project, I have to risk my ears and my monitors when this sound occurs… I mean, I don´t mind if the DAW freezes, or if I have to restart my machine, or any other inconvenient, but come on! What´s the deal with that noise? I´m literally afraid to use the interface, because if I use it with a very low volume just to clearly hear what I´m doing, the noise is still loud enough to give me a heart attack (because it happens too sudden) and damage my ears and my speakers.
I´m doing everything I can to make my projects lighter, converting midi to audio, freezing tracks, etc. but then again, that noise is not normal, and it´s really dangerous for me and my equipment, and again changing the asio buffer size doesn´t resolve the problem.

Yesterday I was playin a little with my midi controller and Addictive Drums and when I played too fast, it seems like the interface can´t handle the audio and just freezes and makes this horrible noise, like a beep but too distorted.

So… again: A driver issue or a defective unit?

I have a shiny new 799 dollar interface just resting there, because I´m afraid to use it, I don´t want to end up deaf or death from a heart attack!

I have that too, it seems that the reverb is getting crazy.

But still no clue about fixing the issue. :neutral_face:

I guess it would be best to start a new thread on this as this one is on the UR28M
If you dio, it would be necesary to add some specs about your systems. Things like Win or mac, which OS etc etc…

Ok i´m going to start a new thread, but I don´t know how to delete or move my previous posts…

My interface is also cracking and distorting. CPU sage is at minimal, my drivers are up to date and I disabled a lot of features in windows 7. I never had this problem with any other interface. It’s very disappointing.

Please help soon cause I will return this baby very quickly!

Just installed my UR824 2 days ago.
Everything as advertised…except that cracking sound. Actually sounds like old records craking sound.
I get it even when listening to music from Windows media player!
I get it when playing piano halion sound from cubase studio 5.
I use usb 2.0, no hub. Buffer at 512 samples.

I am not talking about a big fat project with loads of tracks and instruments. No. Just plain piano from Halion …

My system:
AMD Phenom II x6 1055T 2.8 ghz
12 gig ddr3 of ram
Motherboard Gigabyte 660fxa-ud3
Corsair Force GS SSD hard drive

I still have exatly the same issue and I’m going mad about it. No solution till now and you read about it across this forum…