Recently I’ve been experiencing crackling sounds during playback in Dorico Pro 3.1 on Windows 10. This happens both during MIDI input through a USB keyboard and during playback of a composition. It started when I began using a DAC headphone amp for my headphones a couple days ago. Searching this problem has led me to a thread on this forum which had been answered, and we tried as much of the advice that was given as possible, but the crackling remains. I’d like to provide a long-ish explanation of what we’ve done and what we know to see if anybody has any suggestions.
First off, we’ve verified that the DAC amplifier is on its own USB controller. Someone suggested we try changing the sampling frequency, however we couldn’t find anything labelled sampling frequency, only “sample rate”, and there was only one value for that (we’re using the Generic Low Latency ASIO Driver because it’s the only one that shows the DAC as an output).
Someone else suggested changing the buffer size, so we opened the device control panel and tried increasing the “audio buffer size”. This seemed to fix the crackling, however, it introduced significant latency between a keypress and the generation of sound.
We then started playing with processed priorities, setting both Dorico and VST Audio Engine to “Realtime”. For the better part of a minute it disappeared, but then came back.
There seems to be some different types of USB controllers available on the PC, so we could try moving the DAC to being the only device on a controller to see if it gets better. In general, the PC is only about 30% CPU capacity, so it seems as if it has plenty of power to handle the signal streams.
So that’s pretty much everything we’ve tried, and we’re still running into this problem. Hopefully someone might have some suggestions as to what we can do to eliminate the crackling.
Thanks for reading.