Crash due to Custom Temperament

Hi there,

Dorico consistently crashes whenever I try to open a file that uses a custom tuning system.
I am able to launch Dorico, but it crashes when I try to open such files from the hub, via the file menu, or simply by clicking on the project file.

When I create a custom temperament, if I save it as default, Dorico will consistently crash during launch at the “Initializing Resources” stage. I have attached a crash log that captures this scenario. (Thanks to Derek for his help with attaching it to this post!)
crash log.zip (96.8 KB)
The custom temperament info appears to be stored in the “userlibrary.xml” file within Dorico’s application support folder. Within this file, if I delete the “tonalitySystemDefinitions” section, Dorico will launch successfully again.

Is there any chance these bugs can be worked out anytime soon?
I spent many hours on a project with a short deadline before realizing that I can’t reopen the project file.

Thanks,
Matt

If you have trouble attaching a file, sometimes zipping it helps get it through the fiiltering.

Can you attach the project file itself here so we can take a look at it?

I’m very sorry that you’ve experienced this crash and if you send us the project file we may be able to both recover the file and also prevent the program from crashing in future.

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your quick response!
I’ve attached two project files that exhibit this problem.
In case it helps, I’m running a macBook pro with osSierra.

As a side note, I just want to thank you and the rest of the team for making such a fantastic start on Dorico.
Although there’s a lot of work left to be done, the quality of the software’s default output is spectacular.
It’s incredible that I can accurately import 1/8 tone material into Dorico via musicXML and get accurate notation with no hassle!

Thanks,
Matt
problem files.zip (597 KB)

Well, the (sort of) good news is that I can open your project files with no problems in the current development build; we have already made a few fixes since 1.0.20 went out 10 days ago, and it looks like this is one of them. I will ask my colleague Graham to take a look at your files when we get back into the office next week and see if there’s anything we can do to get these particular projects to open up again in 1.0.20.

Matt, Graham and I have looked at these files again, and they are opening OK for us not only in our current development builds, but also in the released version of Dorico 1.0.20. Can you just make sure you’re running the current version? If you choose About Dorico from the application menu, the version number reported should be 1.0.20.4065.

FWIW both files open without problems here on W7…

Daniel,
I was running the latest release. However, after uninstalling and then reinstalling Dorico, the problem seems to have been resolved. I am now able to create custom temperaments and (thankfully) open the problem project files.

Thanks for your help!
Matt