Crash in 5.1.1, smooth sailing in 4.3.0

MacBook Pro i5@2.4, 8 GB RAM, Mac OS 10.6.7 (10J8550), aggregate audio device made up of one Metric Halo ULN-8 and two RME Fireface 800. Recording session 24/48, Wave64, with 32 tracks total (eight mono, four stereo, two quads, one octo).

The recording session was setup initially in Nuendo 5.1.1 for rehearsal. While recording (30 minutes and longer takes), everything was OK until audio sounded like garbage. I went into Activity Monitor and there was no RAM left. Nothing. In the Console, there was of course a lot of error messages related to Nuendo and how it tried to use the virtual memory, but there was some surprising ones related to the… “VideoEngineDecoder”. Surprising since there was no video at all in the session.

After I read about the problems with 5.1.1 on the forum, I re-installed 4.3.0, opened the 5.1.1 project in 4.3.0 and did some I/O reassigning that had to be done (probably because it was with an aggregate audio device). The recording session went perfectly (as with all my previous 4.3.0 recording session). I also monitored the RAM consumption while recording and it was perfectly stable with around 6 GB always free and available.

So there you go, add that to the 5.1.1 debacle!