Crash report. Plugging in supported MIDI controller freezes Cubase Pro 12

Windows 10 Home
Cubase Pro 12

In Cubase Pro 12 I had my Korg nanoKONTROL Studio plugged in, then while cubase is open, I plugged in my Arturia KeyLap MK II Cubase Pro 12 FROZE. The only way out is a CTRL+Alt+Del then Task Master, End Task. As a precaution I also rebooted my computer.

In task master it showed:
App = Cubase 12
Status = Not Responding
CPU = 18%
Memory = 23%
Disk = 0%
Network = 0%
Power Usage = Very high
Power Usage Trend = Very Low

I then tried to open Cubase Pro 11 and it froze (or got stuck) at Load Mix Console > Loading Channel Stereo Out.
It would not allow me to cancel or shut the process down so I had to CTRL+Alt+Del then Task Master, End Task with this as well.

I then rebooted my computer and opened Cubase Pro 11.
I then created a dummy project with 1 audio track and 1 MIDI track.
I then plugged in my Korg nanoKONTROL Studio (in Cubase mode) which performed as it should.
I then plugged in my Arturia KeyLap MK II and again it performed as it should.

After closing Cubase Pro 11, I unplugged my two MIDI devices and opened Cubase Pro 12.

As before I created a dummy project with 1 audio track and 1 MIDI track.
I then plugged in my Korg nanoKONTROL Studio (in Cubase Mode) which performed as it should.
I then plugged in my Arturia KeyLap MK II and it IS NOT performing as it should even though it shows in the MIDI Port Setup as active, when you play the keys or move any of the controls nothing happens.

I ran "MIDI-OX and the keybord is out putting MIDI data.

The main use for the KeyLab is as a controller for Arturia’s Analog Lab (one of my most used software). All of the knobs on the keylab SHOULD be automatically mapped to the corresponding knobs in the sortware. This does not happen in Cubase Pro 12, but as it does happen in Cubase Pro 11, so this all suggests that it is a Cubase Pro 12 issue.

I have tried uninstalling all of my Arturia software and drivers, then reinstalling them but the same things (as described above) happen all over again.

I have tried to delete the Cubase Pro 12 Arturia scripts but as soon as I open Cubase Pro 12 they appear again, I presume Cubase 12 writes them back.

As of now my two main MIDI controllers (MiniLab MK II & SSL UF8) do not work under Cubase Pro 12 and my third (Korg nanoKontrol Studio) only partially works.
Just to be clear, all of my controllers work under Cubase Pro 11.

Lets have some actual Tech Support please Steinberg.

Hi @KennyEastMids , could you be so kind to provide a screenshot of “Studio Setup… / MIDI Port Setup” within Cubase 12, when all MIDI controllers are connected? And it would be great, if you could look into “C:\Users\YOUR_USERNAME\Documents\Steinberg\CrashDumps” if you can find a “.dmp” file, that was written, when Cubase 12 froze. I’d like to have a look at that file, please attach it here, if possible.

Hi @JRoeper Roeper

Thank you for your reply.

Sadly Cubase Pro 12 did not create a crash dump but I attach a screenshot of my midi Port Setup as you requested.

Not sure if this will be of use as Cubase Pro 12 freezes rather than crashing.
I can confirm that all of my controllers work as expected in Cubase Pro 11, although obviously without the extra functions of MIDI remote.

Hi @KennyEastMids . Thank you for the Screenshot. There’s nothing obvoiusly wrong in there. Maybe you give “Use Device “WinRT MIDI”” a try. It uses a newer MIDI API from Windows.

Sadly Cubase Pro 12 did not create a crash dump but I attach a screenshot of my midi Port Setup as you requested.

Not sure if this will be of use as Cubase Pro 12 freezes rather than crashing.

Normally Cubase 12 on Windows should write a dump file if it freezes for more than 10 seconds. But this didn’t seem to work in your case.

I have tried to delete the Cubase Pro 12 Arturia scripts but as soon as I open Cubase Pro 12 they appear again, I presume Cubase 12 writes them back.

You should deactivate the remote script instead via the “MIDI Remote Manager”:

Hi @JRoeper

Thank you for your suggestion, I have checked in Devices and there is not an option for WinRT MIDI.

@KennyEastMids