Crash Report: Quitting Dorico with tiled windows

Hello all,

I want to report the following crash situation, with workaround and files:

crash-test.zip (857.7 KB)

• Extract the ZIP file in your macOS 11.3 desktop;
  • Open the crash test (before crash)/Crash Test.dorico file with Dorico 3.5.12;
  • Press (and keep pressed) the green window button on the top left of one of the 2 Dorico windows, select Tile Window to Right (or Left) of Screen and select the other Dorico window as partner window of the tiling layout;
  • Save;
  • Quit Dorico.
  • Open Dorico again and open the project… at that point, after the project is opened, when the 2 windows are to be laid out in tiles again, the program crashes.

There is no way to open the the project again. The only workaround I’ve found is to move the project folder (or the project file) elsewhere. But as soon as you move it back again the crash occurs again.

Claudio

Thanks for submitting this report. Unfortunately the crash is almost entirely within macOS code rather than within Dorico code, so I’m not sure what’s going on. You should be able to reopen the projects again if you encounter this problem by deleting the DocumentWindowPositions.ini file from /Users/your-username/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Dorico 3.5, as this will remove all such saved window position preferences and tell Dorico to open every project window at its default size and position once more.

Thank you Daniel,

I was pretty sure the workaround you described existed.

Do you think is it worth addind this kind of OS-related problems to a “Known Problems” chapter in the manual?

Best regards,
Claudio

Claudio Rosati
via Bartolomeo Spani 20
42122 Reggio Emilia (RE)
Italy