Crashing/performance - battery related?

Hi all -

Two things happening here. First, performance is very laggy on my machine, but it only seems to be when the laptop is NOT plugged in. I am assuming there are some under-the-hood “optimizations” that Windows is doing to cause this. Dorico doesn’t handle things differently based on power states, right?

Second, and this seems to be related to the lagginess, Dorico just crashed on me. It has done this before. I can’t figure out the exact reason, but in this case, I had simply inserted some system text, hit ESC, and it crashed.

I’ve attached the diagnostic .zip. Thanks for any thoughts!

Jim
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (1.33 MB)

Just off the top of my head: what are the laptop’s power management policies? It may well be that the laptop is set to use onboard graphics rather than a dedicated GPU when on battery, for example.

…or simply set to throttle CPU usage to something like 50%, which was the default setting on my machine when the battery dropped below 20%.

The crash is due to a Dell Backup component. This is known to cause crashes in applications that use the Qt library. Some people have found that updating it solves the problem, or if you aren’t using it then try uninstalling it: https://www.dell.com/community/Productivity-Software/Backup-and-Recovery-causing-applications-using-Qt5-DLLs-to-crash/td-p/4590325

Loaded symbol image file: DBROverlayIconBackuped.dll
Image path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell Backup and Recovery\Components\Shell\DBROverlayIconBackuped.dll

Regarding laptop performance when running on battery, I think it’s very likely that the laptop is reducing CPU speed if the battery is low. Check the Power Management settings which may give you more control.

Paul, I don’t have a Dell laptop - it’s a Lenovo. I don’t have any Dell applications installed (that I know of).

In addition, that path doesn’t exist on my machine - no “Dell Backup and Recovery” directory.

I have no idea where that is coming from.

And Leo and Dan, thanks, I’ve tried tweaking power and battery settings. And the “not responding” gets annoying after a while! I’ll keep looking.

Ah, apologies - I must have been looking at the wrong crash file - I’ll take a look again when I’m back in the office.

I’ve got the right one now. I can see that it’s crashing when the popover is closed, but I can’t see why. We’ve had some occasional reports of similar crashes, but I don’t think we’ve been able to reproduce it. If you can find a way of reproducing it consistently then please let us know.

Thanks, Paul. I appreciate your time!