Create gap between bars in a system

Hi there,

I have tried to recreate the below screenshot (as I have done in Sibelius previously) and I simply can’t find a way to do it in Dorico 3. This is not the same as system break, or even splitting the same bar over two systems.

I would like to have a gap in between bars and be able to adjust the graphic width of the bar, which seems like something Dorico should be able to do.

Any thoughts?
Thanks!

Have you tried adding a coda and hiding the marker? In Engrave options you can adjust the gap.
Not sure if this is what you’re looking for.

That’s an ok way to split the bars how I would like, although I am left with the big bracket that groups all the instruments together (I would also like to do this in a full score).

Also, perhaps this is basic but I’m really struggling with changing bar width and therefore the gap in Engrave.

Further ideas on creating and editing the gap would be helpful! Thank you lafin :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can adjust it with the Note Spacing tool. Click the handle at the start of the bar and then move with Alt+Ctrl+arrow for larger movements, or just Alt+arrow for smaller.

Removing the group bracket in the score is an issue though. I’m not sure how to get around that.

Are these knocks playing with the rest of the ensemble, or are they disconnected in time from them (separately cued)?

If the latter, then using different flows for the knocks and combining them separately with the rest of the ensemble on a custom page (recommending one use a separate Page Template for this so it can be moved) would be my suggestion.