Create space between staves to write text (not lyrics!)

Hi all!
I’m re-scoring a musical for a job.
There are times where I want to write text, not lyrics, just dialogue which is not necessarily underscored. So I want to move the staves apart to have, like, blank space to write plain text…it seems simple, but any time I try and move staves, all hell breaks loose! Can anyone help?! I feel theres a simple answer…
I’m actually working from a previously written score, adding to it etc…and Dorico doesn’t seem to behave itself all the time with the score that was created on another computer/version!
Anyhoo, any help gratefully received! Thanks. :sunglasses:

It sounds like some combination of Frame Breaks and adjusting staff spacing manually in Engrave mode. It’s hard to give specific suggestions without seeing the current page layout. Are you adding staff text with shift-X? Or are you creating text frames?

If you were including that sort of text at regular intervals, I might look at adjusting the default spacing options. But it sounds like the text you are adding probably doesn’t follow a pattern.

1 Like

hey James! Thanks for the reply…I would like to use text frames, but I’ve not so far been able to make enough space…I think your suggestion is good though and was kinda the way I thought I might have to go…It can’t be an uncommon thing though? Anyway, thanks! :+1:

Be sure to consider making custom Page Templates for some of these situations.

1 Like