Creating a MIDI Device for the Kurzweil PC3

In the Cubase 6 “MIDI Device Manager” it allows you to install a device. When I click on “Install Device” a list is displayed, however, the Kurzweil PC3 does not appear on it. (Strangely, older Kurzweil models do.)

It does allow you to define a new MIDI device but I do not know all the correct settings.

If someone has done this then I would like to import their file for the Kurzweil PC3 MIDI device.

Any help would be appreciated.

They haven’t updated those devices in 20 years.

I made one for my long gone Pc2x…but, that doesn’t do you any good. There’s a site where someone has collected them…which as with all user generated stuff is hit or miss. Hopefully, someone will be along with the link. Should really be a sticky here, IMO.

http://www.dhoop.de/

is a start - google is your friend …

Denis

On the old Cubase site there was a sticky: http://forum.cubase.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=35027

Hi All

Thanks for your suggestions.

Denis, I found a mixer map for the PC3 on http://www.dhoop.de but no device. I did a lot of googling before I placed this request in the forum, however, I will continue to do so.

On the old Cubase site there was a sticky: > Creativity First — Our Passion for Music Inspires | Steinberg

Arjan, I tried the above site but received a 404 Not Found.

I should also mention that the file will ideally be in XML format.

You have to realize that this Cubase forum archive is almost two years old, so some given URLs won’t work anymore. The link itself works here, though.

Hi Arjan

When you say:

You have to realize that this Cubase forum archive is almost two years old, so some given URLs won’t work anymore. The link itself works here, though.

I am not sure what you mean. I have tried the following:

So please forgive my ignorance, but how do I access this sticky note?

I don’t know really what to add. The link http://forum.cubase.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=35027 just works here on Firefox. Then some links from that place might no longer work, is what I meant to say.

You could also try going directly to “Cubase Info Base” from the main index, or do a search from the page you mentioned, using “[Download] PatchName Scripts”.

http://forum.sonikmatter.com/forums/index.php/files/file/287-kurzweil-pc3v203-stdtxt/

This is the link from Sonikmatter. It’s the most recent one I know of - OS 2.03.

by Philskeys » 29 Sep 2012 12:24

http://forum.sonikmatter.com/forums/ind > … 03-stdtxt/

This is the link from Sonikmatter. It’s the most recent one I know of - OS 2.03.

Thanks Philskeys for this.

Unfortunately I could not get the Cubase 6 MIDI Device Manager to import the file since the file is in .txt format and the Device Manager requires it to be in XML format.

I don’t know really what to add. The link > Creativity First — Our Passion for Music Inspires | Steinberg > just works here on Firefox.

It must be where your ISP is located. Doesn’t work in the U.S. on Firefox. Just get a "received a 404 Not Found: here as well. Odd, but not that unusual.

This definitely works for me. Are you putting the file in correct folder? This is the location on my drive in windows 7:

C:\Users(username)\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase 6_64\Scripts\Patchnames\inactive\kurzweil

Once it is in the correct scripts folder, it will show up in the MIDI device list in Cubase. Good luck!

Hi Philskey

Many thanks for your advice. It definitely works.

For the benefit of other Cubase 6/Kurzweil PC3 users, I will summarize:

To Create a MIDI Device in Cubase 6 for the Kurzweil PC3 (Operating System version 2.03)

1. Download the file: Kurzweil PC3V203 std.txt from
    http://forum.sonikmatter.com/forums/index.php/files/file/287-kurzweil-pc3v203-stdtxt/

or use the attached file.

1. Copy the downloaded file (ie Kurzweil PC3V203 std.txt) to:

WINDOWS 7
C:\Users(username)\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase 6_64\Scripts\Patchnames\inactive\kurzweil

MAC
/Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences/Cubase 6/Scripts/Patchnames/inactive/kurzweil/

Installing the MIDI Device in Cubase 6 (For Windows 7 Users)
(So you can check that your Kurzweil PC3 has MIDI communication with your PC, have your Kurzweil PC3 turned on and set up to transmit/receive MIDI to/from your computer.)

1. In Cubase 6, go to Devices>MIDI Device Manager
  1. Click on Install Device.

2. The Add MIDI Device window will appear. Scroll down, select PC3V203b and click OK.

3. PC3V203b will now appear in the Installed Devices of the MIDI Device Manager.

4. In a gray box at the bottom of the MIDI Device Manager you will see PC3V203b at the left side. The black box to its right (ie Output) has the words Not Connected in in it.

5. Click on the right hand side of the black box (ie on the gray down-arrow) and display the drop down menu. Select Kurzweil PC3.

6. Close MIDI Device Manager.

7. To check the MIDI connections, go to Devices>Device Setup…

8. Click on MIDI Port Setup. You should see the Kurzweil PC3 connected to Windows MIDI In and Windows MIDI Out. If you look in the State column for both of these connectionns you should see the state as Active.

NOTES

1. The Cubase 6 MIDI Device Manager cannot import the file Kurzweil PC3V203 std.txt since the file is in .txt format and the MIDI Device Manager requires it to be in XML format.
  1. If you don’t know how to determine what version of the operating system your Kurzweil PC3 is using, go to:
    PC3 - KURZWEIL It's the Sound®

2. At the time of this writing, the latest version of the Kurzweil PC3 operating system is V2.10. (The MIDI Device described here is for Version 2.03.)

3. Thanks to Rene (watje on forum.sonikmatter.com ) for the Kurzweil PC3 MIDI Device Kurzweil PC3V203 std.txt.
    Kurzweil PC3V203 std.txt (36.7 KB)

Now I’m a bit confused. I am setting up a new iMac (1st time Apple user) and put the patch file here:
/Applications/Cubase 6.app/Contents/scripts/patchnames/inactive/kurzweil
I have OS X 10.8.2
The files is not appearing in the ADD MIDI DEVICE window.
Is anyone familiar with where the file goes in MAC OS X?

I’m not a MAC user but I take it you have looked at this location:

/Users//Library/Preferences/Cubase 6/Scripts/Patchnames/inactive/kurzweil/

WHERE ARE CUBASE PREFERENCE AND DEFINITION FILES STORED?

See the following:

1. Some file locations are described in the OPERATION MANUAL for Cubase. See the chapter titled “Customizing” and the section in this chapter titled “Where are the settings stored?”

2. Refer to the Steinberg Knowledge Base article: https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/cubase-and-nuendo-program-preferences-files-in-detail/kb_back/2020.html?tx_p77sbknowledgebase_pi1[productfamily]=detail/kb_back/2020.html?tx_p77sbknowledgebase_pi1[productfamily]=2

3. To find the application folder in Windows, you would go Start>Programs>Steinberg Cubase 6 64bit>Cubase Application Data Folder Do the equivalent in the iMac.

Cheers

Thanks Lester, but still no success.
Perhaps Apple has changed to the path of this folder, because I can not see a place called “Library”. The Finder doesn’t seem to allow as much access to the directory as Windows 7. Can anyone with OS X 10.8.2 tell me if I am putting this in the right place?
/Applications/Cubase 6.app/Contents/scripts/patchnames/inactive/kurzweil
I am pretty confident this is correct. All the other patch names are there, so I am surprised they are not appearing.
I welcome any suggestions

Okay- I found the path you are talking about.
The “library” directory is hidden in the Finder and you need to hold down the OPTION key while opening the GO menu to see it. Your directions were spot on.

I have written an application that takes a file containing a program list for a keyboard and creates a MIDI Device (ie Script File (.txt)) for Cubase 6.

The input file has this layout:

| Program Number | Program Name | Category - Level 1 | Category - Level 2 | … | Category - Level 9 |

So an example of an input file would be:

#______Prog Name ________Cat 1_____Cat 2__________Cat 3
459______Solo Trombone_____ Brass_____Trombone______Solo
4153_____ Trombone_________ Brass_____Trombone______Solo
190______ Sgt.Pepper Brass____Brass_____Trombone______Trombone Sect
461______Trombone Section___Brass_____Trombone______Trombone Sect
462______ Dyn Orch Bones_____Brass_____Trombone______Trombone Sect

While in Cubase, not only can you see all the programs that are available on your Kurzweil PC3, but the programs are all categorized, so it’s easy to find a particular instrument or sound.

The program is called MIDI Device Script Maker.

You will need to have Microsoft Excel in order to run the program. I developed the program on WINDOWS 7 using Excel 2010. I have not tested the software on earlier versions of Excel, however, it may work with earlier versions. (The file has been saved in Excel 97 - 2003 format.)

MAC USERS
Since the program uses VBA, I don’t think it will work on a MAC.

If you are a MAC user, you may want to download this application since:

• while you may not be able to generate a Script File, you will get an Excel file with all the programs on the Kurzweil PC3 (Version 2.20) organised into categories. This makes it easy to find programs.

• you can arrange the programs into categories of your choosing, then email the file to a user with Windows 7 and Excel 2010 (or equivalent), then the recipient can run the application with your input data and email you the Script File that was generated. This Script File will work on the MAC.

As well as attaching the program, I have attached a MIDI Device (ie a Script File which is in .txt format) that was created by the program. The file is for the Kurzweil PC3 V2.20.

NOTE: The program can also be used to create MIDI Devices for other keyboards.
MIDI Device Script Maker v1.01.zip (488 KB)
PC3_V220_Category.txt (39.2 KB)

I just wanted to thank lestercrombie for your postings for this topic.

They were very helpful.

Cheers!

I have setup my PC3X in the Device Manager of Cubase 6.5 and everything works well except for one issue.

If I change the program for the PC3X within Cubase it will change on the PC3X, however, when I manually change the PC3X program on the keyboard itself, and then play the song in Cubase, the Program does not change back to what I had previously selected within Cubase.

How do I set this up so that the programs will change to what I had previously selected when I play a song in Cubase?

Thanks.