Creating crotchets in 6/8

How can I get three crotchets in 6/8 instead of crotchet, two tied quavers, crotchet.

Thanks

Use Force Duration.

I have tried all that but keep getting the above in post 1

Turn Force Duration on before you enter the second crotchet.

Thanks, tried it but still the same.

Please try it again, because it’s a basic feature of the software and it certainly works correctly. For example:

1. Show the caret at the start of a 6/8 bar.
  2. Hit 6 to choose the crotchet duration.
  3. Hit O to enable Force Duration. Check that the “g clamp” icon in the toolbox at the left-hand side of the screen is active.
  4. Type G, G, G to input 3 Gs.

Thanks to you both, got it!

Depending on how often you want to do this in this project, you can also use time signatures to control note grouping - for instance, you could input a 3/4 time signature for the bars where you want notes to be grouped/beamed as 3 crotchets, then hide the time signature. You can select the signposts for hidden time signatures and Alt-click them at the start of every bar where you want that grouping. (If you wanted to go back to 6/8 grouping in the next bar, re-input a 6/8 time signature at the start of the next bar and hide that too.)

2 Likes

Another way is to select the first crotchet and enter a 3:3 tuplet. This converts crotchet, tied quavers, crotchet to 3 crotchets. I’ve found this really useful when changing the rhythm notation when the music has already been entered. You can then hide the bracket and number in the properties panel.
Apologies if someone has already mentioned this, but a couldn’t find it on the forum.

A simpler way would be to change the time signature using shift-m [2+2+2]/8 (you can hide the time signature if you only need this to be temporary). No need to mess with tuplets.

That’s also useful but I found that constant changes of time signatures in individual staves was a lot slower and more awkward than the tuplet method. A retroactive force duration option would be useful. Forcing duration only seems to work when entering notes at the moment. It would be good if I could select the quavers, click on crotchet on the panel and then the force duration icon to change them to a crotchet.

1. Select the notes.
  2. Press O for Force Duration.
  3. Press a note duration smaller than the notes e.g. 5.
  4. Then press 6.

(Make sure Insert mode is OFF, of course!)

1 Like

Thanks benwiggy,
That’s a better solution.