Creating Impulse Response files for Reverence

Hello!
I wish to create an Impulse Response file library for Reverence reverb. We do have a fine collection of outboard reverbs as Lexicon 960L, PCM 70, PCM 80, Eventide Harmonizer H3000 and more in our studio. I have succesfuly created IR files from Lexicon for Waves IR-1 reverb. You need to use a specific sweep sine wave file which you can easily create in Sound Forge for that case. I tried to import the same Lexicon IR file in Reverence but with a weird unusable result. So I assumed that this is not the proper method for craeting IR files for Reverence. I tried to find a user manual or a guide for this case by Google, but with no results.
So can someone please tell me how to create these IR files for Reverence or were to find a guide. I found the free of charge IR library from Bricasty reverb for Reverence. When you listen to these wav files you can hear that the sound impulse used for that is a kind of gun shot. But that’s all that I know.

Regards,
Maris

1 Like

I always heard they used to use a starting psitol

Yes, that’s in an acoustical environment. But I am interested in feeding a signal through my outboard reverbs. Of coarse I could find a start pistol shot sound file. But one must know every single detail how to obtain a proper IR file- Bit Rate, Sampling Freq., Levels …

1 Like

how about this:

Thanks,

If Voxengo Deconvolver is a convolution reverb, then I’m not interested in buying another reverb, because I allready have Reverence. I would only want to have a User manual or a Help file for Reverence from Steinberg.

Maris

it’s not a reverb, its an app to help make impulses - I think it can take an impulse file and derive the impulse (hence the de part)

seems like people use a swept sine wave…

I have everything covered in my first post. Waves, the plugin company, uses sine waves for creating IR files for their Waves IR-1 Reverb. But some good creators of IR files for Reverence have used gun shot signal.

http://www.aaronbrownsound.com/sampling-spaces-make-your-own-impulses-for-convolution-reverbs-–-part-2/

this guy has a guide

You can use a transient/starter pistol or a sweep.
With a sweep it must be deconvolved. maybe steinberg has their own version in house, or maybe they use deconvolver?

The two versions have pros and cons. And they do SOUND different, not immensely so, but the result will be different. The sweep beeing the more analytical and precise version, but it will also be a little bit time smeared because of the process itself. At least that’s my take on the difference, but I’m no full on expert. But I have recorded a few.

With a transient/starter pistol you get the result at once.
The recording can simply be trimmed and imported into the reverb as is.
But it is dependent on a really good recording situation, any noise will be reproduced through the IR all the time, so it puts high demands on a quiet recording area. And a high SPL from the “igniter” and in populated areas, in these days, this is quite likely to be a problem.

A sweep is a specific sweep that is created by the deconvolver tool. They can be set at different lengths and there are pros and cons to that as well. The longer the higher the “fidelity” but it takes more time to do the recordings and if anything goes wrong it takes a lot longer to do it again. If the environment changes over time then a long sweep will be affected differently over the frequency spectrum as it changes.

Then there’s the issue with IRs just recording high level responses if you use a starter pistol. With a sweep you can also record at lower spls to get more of a low level response of a room, like you have when two people talk.

Setting up IR verbs to create a realistic reverberation isn’t as easy as just loading a setting and go. If you really want realism you will have to use at least two.
Look at it like sampling with multiple velocities, it’s not enough to just record a hard hit of the snare and lowering the level. It’s the same thing with IR verbs, and so far there’s really no true solution to that apart from complex setups with several reverbs and where you have dynamic range splitters (gates) ahead of the verbs to mimic splitting the levels (velocities) to the different verbs (samples).

So you can see that there are reasons for why the folks that record IR needs to be quite proficient.

I will just add, have fun with it.
Load a sample/impulse of a crash or a snare drum into REVerence, to get an idea what strange or different reverbs you can get.

Many thanks to everyone for their advice. I will need some spare time to do a lot of experiments, I see. :slight_smile:

Maris

I’ve been reading these posts and it appears that everyone knows how to load these 3rd party IRs so that they work with Reverence. I can’t find any information on how to do this.
Any help is appreciated.
edi

Certainly they must have read the manual