Creating microtonal accidentals for use in text

I love how the Standard Accidentals for Chord Symbols in SMuFL, alongside Bravura Text, allows me to integrate accidentals into text. It’s been great for producing neatly formatted performance notes or analytical essays.

I’ve been thinking of making my own version with microtonal accidentals, as Daniel mentioned in this thread back in 2018. I’m doing a PhD on microtonality, and it would be enormously helpful to have a set of microtonal symbols that integrate into text.

However, while I can probably design a passable set of modified glyphs, I have no experience with font editing software.

SO: Does anyone have any suggestions about how I might go about converting glyphs into a font with limited skills? Or perhaps someone has done this between 2018 and now, and I’ve just missed it? Or, best of all, perhaps somebody else with the skills is interested in collaborating on this problem! Do let me know.

If you were just wanting to convert some basic glyphs, it’s actually pretty easy. I’d recommend trying something like glyphter.com.

Or there’s something like Font Forge, which is a little more complicated, but not bad. And free.

PS: in the spirit of full disclosure, I should say it is supposed to be pretty easy. I’ve been having some small glitches that have been tripping me up and I can’t figure out what’s going on, and I can’t figure out a place to ask. But hypothetically it’s pretty easy…

Oh these tools look very helpful, thank you! I’ll have a go with them.