Creating player groups issue

Hi everyone, I feel like this should be simple, but it doesn’t work the way I expect, or the way the manual says it should work.

On page 176 of the PDF of the V5 manual, it says:

Adding player groups
You can organize players into groups; for example, if you want to bracket them together. Players
in different groups are also numbered separately.
PROCEDURE

1. Optional: If you want to add a group that includes existing players, select those players in
    the Players panel in Setup mode.
  2. In the Players panel, click Add Group .
    RESULT
    A new player group is added to the Players panel. If you selected players, those players are
    added to the group. If you did not select players, the new group is empty.

Whenever I do this, it either creates an empty group, OR creates a group with 1 player in it (and always a player that I had not selected).

Is this a bug, or is there a trick to get it to behave correctly? Thanks!

It certainly works as expected for me. In Setup mode, in the Players panel, select the players you want to be part of a group, with Ctrl+click (Windows) or Command-click (macOS). They don’t have to be contiguous, but if they are, you can select them more quickly with Shift+click. Then choose Setup > New Player Group or click the group button (the fourth one along in the action bar at the bottom of the Players panel). A new group will be created containing the selected players.

Thanks Daniel. I have done some more investigating, and the button down the bottom is working perfectly as described, but the New Player Group item in the Setup menu is not, as you can see from this video I just made.

@jaredhaschek

I just had a similar issue (using the menu instead of the button): restart Dorico and everything will work as expected.

Hey Christian. That’s really interesting - I did a restart and it fixed it for me as well.

I guess it’s just a bug then? This is something that I experience frequently, but I’m not sure what is happening to trigger the behavior. I’ll try to be more observant next time it happens.

Cheers!

Jared

1 Like

Update:

All was working fine. I used the “add ensemble” button in setup and added a string section. Went to group the string section using the setup menu option and it created an empty group below the selected players. The ‘add group’ button at the bottom of the setup panel still works as it should.

Just providing more info incase it’s useful to track down the gremlin, @dspreadbury .

Hi @jaredhaschek
I sent Daniel also a video where this was happening and the Diagnostics. I don’t know if this may help, but in case, you can post your diagnostics here (menu Help>Create Diagnostics Report).

Oh cool - here you go :slight_smile:
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (1.6 MB)

Thanks for reporting this. I’ll do my best to reproduce the issue and figure out why it sometimes goes wrong.

Thanks Daniel, good luck!