Creating VST expression maps from scratch

Hi all!

I have no idea how to create a playback template, expression map, etc, and I’m trying to use Spitfire Symphony Orchestra. Would anyone be willing to help me out in a private consultation to do this? Or, any clues on how to do it specifically in SSO? The videos on BBCSO and others like it don’t help at all.

The key to making any of these expression maps work is to understand the manual of the VST package, in your case SSO. Once you know what codes you are trying to input for each effect, following the pattern of the Dorico help materials will make better sense.

1 Like

Thank you @Derrek , that is insightful. Know where to start with a library like this?

You don’t need to do all the work yourself – @MiloDC has been working on expression maps and playback templates for this library, and you can find information here.

2 Likes

Let me know if you need any assistance / have any questions, @joshdnichols. Dorico makes putting together expression maps pretty easy.

While I’ve spent a lot of time putting together expression maps, I actually haven’t messed around with playback templates much. You’ll want to pick someone else’s brain for that.