Cross-staff notation and fingering

Hello,

Just noticed two bugs when entering fingerings in bars with cross-staff notation:

1. The fingering entry panel can switch to the wrong voice when going from a bar without cross-staff notation to one with cross-staff notation.

2. Fingerings in the piano part get switched to the wrong voice, even after they’re carefully assigned to the correct notes and voice in the full score.

Full score:
screenshot_2022-05-14

Piano part:
screenshot_2022-05-14-1

It looks like Dorico makes the assumption that cross-staff notation somehow implies that the notes should be played by the other hand. Sometimes that’s the case, but very often it’s not. (That treble clef does not mean right hand and bass clef does not mean left hand is something piano teachers have to drill into students!)

2 Likes

What happens if you select the correct fingerings and use the propagate properties option? Does that force the score to be correct?

Also, you could fake an identical effect by merely using two voices in the lower stave and hiding rests above. Different steps to get there, but it would look identical, and you may not experience the bug this way.

Thanks so much for the tips. “Propagate properties” worked!

I just read up on this feature (properties management) and see that my score defaulted to set local properties locally rather than globally.

screenshot_2022-05-15

It’s in the bottom properties panel in write and engrave modes, for anyone else who may be looking for it.

1 Like

Again, I’ve taken the liberty of changing the thread title, since there are no actual bugs reported in this thread.

In the Shift+F popover you can tell Dorico which hand you are adding fingerings for by prefixing the finger number with “l” or “r”, for example.

1 Like

Thank you! Now that I think of it, I did first move the notes to the lower staff and then I added fingerings, so Dorico understandably assumed the fingerings were meant for the left hand.